Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Two 5xGreat-Grandparents

Old 18-10-13, 09:44
Administrator

Default Esther Mason

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Esther Mason
Date and place of birth 1733 Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Names of parents James Mason and Rebecca nee Riseborough
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 19 Aug 1733 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 21 Sep 1751 Great Yarmouth to Farrow Salter
Occupation(s) - if any Housewife
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1733-1797 - Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
1805 - Horselydown, London / Surrey

Date, place and cause of death Dec 1805 Horselydown, London / Surrey, not got cause
Date and place of burial. 10 Dec 1805 St John, Horselydown, London / Surrey, Hester Salter age 74.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Not found
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Link to son's thread:
Thomas Salter

I'm not 100% certain that is the right burial for her but it looks very likely as her son Thomas was living there. Also not 100% certain it is the right baptism as Farrow and Esther don't seem to have named a child James or Elizabeth, but there could be some children who I haven't found yet. It could be that the name of one or other parent on her baptism is wrong, though, as she is the only child of a James and Elizabeth baptised at Great Yarmouth but there are children of John and Elizabeth, James and Mary.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 04-09-21 at 17:43. Reason: add mother's name
Old 20-01-17, 09:28
Administrator

Hmmm, this looks interesting:

From FreeREG:
James Mason, bachelor, married Rebecca Riseborough, spinster, 15 Oct 1728, St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth
Deborah Mason baptised 30 Nov 1729 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, daughter of James and Rebecca
Rabacca Mason baptised 1 Nov 1730 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, daughter of James and Rebecca
Deb Mason buried 25 May 1731 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, daughter of James and Rebecca
Mary Ann Mason buried 13 Aug 1732 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, daughter of James and Rebecca
Thomas Heach, bachelor, married Rebecca Mason, widow, 17 Jul 1737 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, both of Great Yarmouth
Rebecca Mason, single, married Thomas Conyers, single, 4 Jan 1753 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth
Thomas Conyers buried 10 Jun 1759 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, son of Thomas and Rebecca
Thomas Conyers baptised 25 May 1760 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, son of Thomas and Rebecca
Rebecca Coniers baptised 28 Jun 1762 Nonconformist, Great Yarmouth, daughter of Thomas and Rebecca, father's occupation mariner
Rebecca Conyers buried 19 Jul 1763 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, daughter of Thomas and Rebecca (they have an entry from the AT's saying Robert, son of, but I will have to check the image; their PR transcriptions say Rebecca)
James Coniers baptised 28 Jan 1765 Nonconformist, Great Yarmouth, son of Thomas and Rebecca, father's occupation mariner
James Conyers buried 22 Apr 1766 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, I think FreeREG is trying to say son of Thomas and Rebecca but their transcription is a bit messed up
James Mason Coniers baptised 27 Mar 1767 Nonconformist, Great Yarmouth, son of Thomas and Rebecca, father's occupation mariner
Edmund Coniers baptised 14 Sep 1770 Nonconformist, Great Yarmouth, son of Thomas and Rebecca, father's occupation mariner

Thomas Conyers jr married Sarah Padnall 21 May 1786 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, by licence, witnesses Mary Goodwin and Richard Pitt
They have children Thomas Padnall Conyers 1790, Thomas Gooden Conyers 1794, Elizabeth Padnall Conyers 1797.

My Esther had a granddaughter Christian Lilly who married James Browne of North Yarmouth in 1798 in Horsleydown, London, and they had a daughter Christian Padnell Browne born 1799. I don't know where the name Padnell came from.

But this is what is getting me excited - Rebecca Conyers from St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey buried 13 Feb 1808 at St John Horsleydown, London, age 76.

So could Rebecca jr be Esther's sister, and the mother's name on Esther's baptism be wrong, should be Rebecca? Esther did have a daughter named Rebecca, but then that was her mother-in-law's name.

I really want to add these people to my tree, but do you think it's too tenuous?

Old 21-01-17, 07:45
Administrator

I've looked at the fmp images but not FS:

Quote:
Rebecca Conyers buried 19 Jul 1763 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, daughter of Thomas and Rebecca (they have an entry from the AT's saying Robert, son of, but I will have to check the image; their PR transcriptions say Rebecca)
The fmp image is definitely Rebecca, dau.

Quote:
James Conyers buried 22 Apr 1766 St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth, I think FreeREG is trying to say son of Thomas and Rebecca but their transcription is a bit messed up
I couldn't find the transcription of this entry but found the entry by browsing and it's definitely "James Conyers of Thomas & Rebecca".

Quote:
So could Rebecca jr be Esther's sister, and the mother's name on Esther's baptism be wrong, should be Rebecca?
I did look at Esther Mason's bap (but imagine you have already done that!) and the mother is Eliz. not Rebecca, but maybe the vicar is the same one who worked in Wyke Regis in Dorset and called several of my female relatives Mary no matter what their name was!

I presume it looks like there is apparently only one James Mason having children in GY at that time? Was he another mariner? I see there is no burial for him.

Quote:
I really want to add these people to my tree, but do you think it's too tenuous?
I think I would be adding them, but that doesn't make it right! lol

Did Thomas Conyers jr who married Sarah Padnall become well off by any chance? I haven't worked out his potential relationship with your Esther's g-granddaughter, but in my tree if you had a wealthy cousin you would use their name apparently in the hope of a later bequest!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-01-17, 09:16
Administrator

Thanks for those, Merry.

Yes, I had looked at Esther's baptism and seen that the mother's name was Eliz, which is why I got nowhere for so long, but she does seem to fit with the James and Rebecca family. I had in my notes that there was a James and Mary couple but I can't find them at the moment! Maybe when I've had my coffee...

I shall look into Thomas Conyers and the Padnalls to see if they had money.

Old 21-01-17, 11:25
Administrator

Thomas Conyers jr would be the first cousin once removed of Christian's granddaughter.

Here are baptisms of one of Rebecca's children and one of Esther's children at the same nonconformist church and on the same page:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/29...cklabel=Return
If only it was one of those churches which had baptism witnesses or sponsors!

I don't know what James Mason's occupation was but I would guess mariner.

This looks like Thomas Conyers jr's burial:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/15...cklabel=Return
25 May 1822 at St John Horsleydown, age 62, abode Bermondsey.

Old 21-01-17, 11:48
Administrator

It looks as though there could be a connection between the Padnalls / Padnolls and the Lilly family - I found the will of a Lilly Padnoll or Padnall, mariner, from 1745 and he named his brother Thomas Padnall of Grays, Essex. Thomas's will from 1749 names John and Thomas, sons of Nathan Padnall of Yarmouth.

Sarah Padnall was baptised 9 Aug 1767 at Great Yarmouth, daughter of John and Elizabeth.

Not sure all that gets me anywhere!

Old 21-01-17, 18:57
Administrator

I have thought of a possible explanation for the baptism record saying Eliz instead of Rebecca - if the vicar or clerk misheard "Becky" as "Betty"!

Tags
tt5g45