Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 04-06-12, 16:40

Default Bank Holiday Bodycotes!

I am now having another go at unscrambling the Bodycotes, without a great deal of success, which is par for the course with this line.

In 1851 at 67 Denham Street in the parish of St Margaret Leicester, we have a large household that I can’t quite figure out.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=9715120

Joseph Bodycote aged 54, stocking knitter, born Leicester St Leonard, is the head of the household. He's a known quantity. He is my four times great grandfather, ex army, deserted his wife and had another family with another woman.

Amelia Chapman aged 24, also a stocking knitter, born Mansfield Notts, is his illegitimate daughter, and William Chapman aged 26, stocking knitter, born Leicester St Margaret is his son in law. They were married in Leicester in the June Quarter of 1847. Amelia died in 1901 without issue.

At the moment I know nothing about Joseph’s antecedents. His marriage entry is silent as to his parents and I cannot find an appropriate entry in the IGI for his birth. There is one for 1799, but that seems a bit late as he was allegedly 19 when he joined the army in 1813. I also do not yet know who Amelia’s mother is – all I know is that she was not Joseph’s wife and her name may have been Elizabeth. I also do not know when or where Joseph died.

The other members of the household are Charlotte Noon aged 40, also born Leicester St Margarets and described as a niece, Joseph Noon aged 21, born Newtown Linford, described as a nephew, and three visitors, John Sibson aged 46 and Richard Sibson aged 22, both born Leicester St Margarets, and Lucy Sibson aged 16, born Mansfield Notts.

It is possible that Charlotte Noon was born in 1810, the daughter of John Noon and Maria Sibson, married at St Margarets in August 1806, which suggests that some of the members of this household may in some way be related…but how? And are they related to Joseph Bodycote, or to his daughter, through her mother?

On this special Bank Holiday, could those who are now trawling through manorial records please spare a thought for those of us who struggle to get past 1800. Thank you.

AN
Old 04-06-12, 17:34

Have you seen this household in 1841

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=6488337

St Margarets, Leicester

Joseph Bodycote 35
Joseph Bodycote 10
Mary Bodycote 20
Emily Bodycote 12
Ann (?) Bodycote 1 month
Ann Simson 40
Charlott Noon 25

I'm not sure if that makes it even more complicated
Old 04-06-12, 17:41

On Freereg there's a Joseph Bodicoat marriage to Elizabeth Kind at Mountsorrell, Leicestershire on 21 May 1804, if that's any use to you?
Old 04-06-12, 18:02

Family Searchg has a baptism for Amelia Bodicot 11 March 1827 Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottingham to Joseph Bodicot and Elizabeth.
Old 04-06-12, 20:10

Jackie, that household in 1841 just makes it more complicated. However, Bodycotes and Noons together would suggest some sort of relationship. Is that my Joseph though -he would have been about 47 by then.

Lindsay - I think Mountsorrel is a red herring. My Joseph would possibly have been about 10 then. He said he was 19 when he went into the army in 1813.

Wendy -The baptism for Amelia looks right. However, her mother was almost certainly his fancy woman, who seems to share a Christian name with his lawful wife. Whether she was a Noon, a Sibson or what I cannot begin to imagine.

AN
Old 04-06-12, 20:34

He's still alive in 1855 as he is mentioned in the Leicester Journal and the Leicester Mercury in mid June, giving his occupation fwk & Denman St address.
Old 04-06-12, 20:55

Is the Joseph Noon Bodycote who marries in 1851 his illegitimate son - the Joseph who is with him on the 1841 & 1851 census?

And have you eliminated the Joseph Bodycote who dies in Nottingham in 1858?
Old 04-06-12, 21:14

You have probably explained elsewhere, but just how many women do you think he was carrying on with?

There's an Amelia b 1822 in Bengal, d/o Joseph & Elizabeth
There's a Lydia dying 1833, St Margaret's Leicester d/o Joseph & Charlotte
Old 04-06-12, 21:37

So his first marriage was to Elizabeth Beckwith in India, and he had deserted her by 1829?
Old 05-06-12, 08:01

Looking at the old thread on rootschat, would it be possible that it was Charlotte Noon that Joseph took up with, that he started up in Nottinghamshire when he was discharged from the army, but then moved to (or was removed to -I'm not sure of the settlement of soldiers) Leicester.

If Joseph Noon Bodycote were his son, then after whatever fracas went on in June 1855, Joseph senior & Charlotte emigrate to Pennsylvania either to join or be followed by Joseph junior?

If Elizabeth Beckwith couldn't cope with life in England without servants etc she might have proved a very difficult person to live with.

If she died in the workhouse, are there any extant records to explain where and when she was admitted?

The above scenario means one family split. Today it would be a simple case of divorce & a happy second marriage.