Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Family History Photographs > Photo Restoration

Old 24-11-20, 23:51

Default Help dating a photo please

Have been going through some of my dad's old photos - this was the only one he couldn't identify. Can anyone estimate a date please?

Old 25-11-20, 08:04
Administrator

No image!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-11-20, 12:30

It's displaying fine for me, not sure why it shouldn't be for you!

Can you view it via this link instead?
Old 25-11-20, 13:18
Administrator

How odd - there was literally nothing to see for me in your opening post - no image and no link or anything.

Anyway, yes thanks, the dropbox link works for me. A little difficult to date little children as their clothes don't change so much with the passing years. I see the photographer is Williams & Williams - is there anythng more on the back of the photo?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-11-20, 13:29
Administrator

I suppose the rustic bench makes me think pre-Edwardian, but actually they seems to be used in every era!

If there is info on the reverse about the different branches of the company open at the date the image was made, you might be able to work something out from this list:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/Occupations/VicPhoto1

Old 25-11-20, 14:47

Thank you. Guessing that it's most likely to be one of Dad's direct ancestors, his parents were born 1903 and 1904, grandparents all between 1879-1881. Great-grandparents were c1845-1858 (don't have exact dates for all of them), but it seems unlikely the photo is that old.

Unfortunately I don't have the original photo (Dad probably still has it somewhere, but whether he'd be able to find it on request is another matter!) - just the scan. I see from that link that Williams and Williams were based in Newport and Abertillery, which makes it slightly surprising that the family would have used them as they mostly lived in or near Ystradgynlais, which isn't particularly close to either of those. Two other photos in the same set also bear company names - H. Chapman of Swansea and Cartwright of Ystradgynlais, both also on the GENUKI list and neither close to Newport!
Old 25-11-20, 21:47

The style of the mount is (I think!) Art Nouveau. I would guess that would place it as early 1900s.

This little girl https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._1900-1910.jpg has a similar cape-style collar to her coat, though I think your photo may be a little boy, given those boots. Doesn't your father know?!!
Old 25-11-20, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
How odd - there was literally nothing to see for me in your opening post - no image and no link or anything.
Same here, it's not just you.
Old 26-11-20, 04:43

I thought it might be a boy as well because it reminds me of the photo of my father about the same age in his little sailor suit with skirt and fancy hat, and the time frame would be similar to what you suggested, Phoenix, as Dad was born in 1901.

Michael, have you played with the face-matching feature on familysearch that Tom posted about? You'd want to put this photo as "You" and then upload other family photos to compare. It's not foolproof, but I did a lot of fooling around with it and was suitably impressed with some of my results.

It's under Activities > Compare-a-Face.
https://www.familysearch.org/discovery/compare

Janet (Niagara)
Old 26-11-20, 23:31

Thanks, Phoenix and Janet. Early 1900s would make it plausible at least chronologically that it's my paternal grandfather (b1903), but I don't think it is - from a comparison to two which Dad has confirmed are of him, he definitely had bigger ears than the child above (a trait which has been passed on to Dad and me!). He was an only child, so if the above photo isn't him, the next possibility is one of Dad's mother's brothers. I'll have a poke around with Compare-a-Face and see what I get...