Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 18-01-16, 15:33

Default Opening a Closed Record on the 1939 Register

Hi,

Can I ask the people who have submitted requests to open records, were you only able to do so if you had a copy of the death certificate?

I noticed on the request form that it says it only allows this but I don't have a copy of my grandmother's DC and I would like to open her record. I have a copy of her obituary and I guess saying that I attended her funeral isn't going to be enough. The person who has the DC won't let me copy it and she only died in 2013 so even if I had the money, I don't think I will be able to order a copy.
Old 18-01-16, 16:14
Administrator

I haven't submitted any requests but I have seen people ask this question on Facebook and as far as I know, FMP have always said they need the death cert.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-01-16, 16:18
Administrator

Also, I think you would be able to order a 2013 death cert if you have the info the GRO ask for when ordering, as the GRO site says "GRO is not able to issue certificates for events that have taken place within the last six months (for marriages this period is extended to eighteen months)".

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-01-16, 16:30

I'm waiting to get a record opened.

Had to upload copy of death certificate and it said it would take 10 days - it's already passed that - don't know how long it will be.
Old 18-01-16, 16:55

Thank you Kate & Julie. I thought it would be death cert only but just wanted to check if anyone knew if alternatives were able to be used. I think I need to have another chat with the person who has her DC. I really can't afford nearly £10 on a DC of someone who I know when died and what of
Old 18-01-16, 17:21
Administrator

I would contact fmp and ask them. I wanted my mother's record closed as she is alive but they had the entry open. They state various items they will use as proof a person is living (current passport, driving licence etc) none of which mum has. When I emailed them they said a recent bank statement would do!!

Having said that, they are supposed to close a record within 72 hours once they have the paperwork, but they have given themselves 90 days to do mum's because they are 'very busy' lol I think we are on about 80 days of the 90 at the moment and as of yesterday her entry was still open!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-01-16, 17:28

That is shocking poor Merry that they haven't closed your mum's record after how they've been about opening up records of people that have actually been long deceased. Hope they close it soon.

I will send them an email and ask.
Old 19-01-16, 13:42

Got reply last night after 12 days - not opened as no-one of that name at that address.
Old 19-01-16, 15:43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBee View Post
Got reply last night after 12 days - not opened as no-one of that name at that address.
Won't they search the closed records? Anstey Nomad had a thread (or was posting on a thread) about doing that, but I don't know what happened in the end.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-01-16, 15:54

Oh Julie, that's such a shame

I've just noticed on the record that I want opening, two of my nan's siblings have been opened by FMP since I originally looked and it isn't because anyone has requested for them to be so I can only assume that someone at FMP is cross referencing dates of births / deaths etc. The names are common too.