Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 20-02-23, 16:10

Default When they all die young

My Domoney ancestor died when she was 33. Not unusual for a young married woman in the 1830s, but several of her siblings died as teenagers, as did several of her nieces.

Do you follow up deaths with certificates? Her sister was only 47, and just makes it into civil registration. If we ever do get really cheap pdfs (the GRO site is being updated in a few days ) I'm tempted to have a blitz, to see if I can find out whether these were sad coincidences, or family health problems.
Old 20-02-23, 16:20
Administrator

Have you looked in the British Newspaper Archive to see whether any of them were mentioned in the papers?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 20-02-23, 18:53

They are not really the sort of people who appear in notices at that period, Kite. (Unlike Great Aunt Kate, whose suicide a century later has finally popped up, but frustratingly without feeling the need to say that my grandfather identified the body)
Old 20-02-23, 19:54

Yes, if pdf copies turn out to be really cheap I shall be following up a few deaths. One which drives me mad and is absolutely NOTHING to do with me or mine, lol, is the death of a young high born woman who got into trouble, the trouble was farmed out in great secrecy and the high born woman died a year later. I'm bursting to know why she died and am flabbergasted that the descendant of this story isn't interested!

OC
Old 20-02-23, 21:01
Administrator

I would do the same if pdfs suddenly became much cheaper.

I did buy two certs for people I wouldn't normally have done because mother (53) and her only child (28) died one day apart in 1845. It turned out the mother died from infection of the liver (three weeks). Her daughter died the following day of disease of the valves of the heart (uncertain). So, did the shock of her mother's death lead to her own? That's how I interpreted it.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-02-23, 10:38

Husband’s 5x great grandfather, David Kirkby fathered an illegitimate baby ( David Benone Rigge) with Mary Rigge.
David went on to marry Agatha Sawrey.
Mary Rigge died a year later of ‘a broken heart’ according to William Wordsworth.
This was all in Hawkshead, Lancs.
Baby David was brought up by Mary’s parents and was later apprenticed in London.

I often wonder if Mary did die of a broken heart. Far too early for certs.
Old 21-02-23, 23:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
I often wonder if Mary did die of a broken heart. Far too early for certs.
I'm sure I've heard recently that this is believed to be possible. I can't tell you when or where I heard, or read, this though.
Old 21-02-23, 23:35

Back to the original post. My grandma and her siblings all had an illness in their teenage-ish years (there were 12 of them). All 12 died of heart related conditions from this illness (I've forgotten which one, sorry). Two boys died in their early 20s, I did buy the certificates, and the rest did go on and have families before dying. But my Dad speaks of Frank and Jimmy often and he was not born, or thought of, when they died, so his Mum, aunts and grandparents all spoke of them frequently.
Old 22-02-23, 10:40
Administrator

Was it rheumatic fever? My aunt had a heart condition that started in her 50s and the Dr said it would have been caused by RF as a child. My gran was very indignant about this as, "Our sort of family don't have RF"!! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-02-23, 22:02

lol Merry, not sure what sort of family gets it, nor to be honest what RF actually is.

RF does sound right. I got confused with scarlet fever but talking to Dad the other day, he knew it wasn't scarlet fever. I have about 3 copies of the death cert but am too lazy to look it up.