Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-07-21, 07:22

Default The allertons Ollertons ormskirk /lathom

Hi ,I am helping a relative to find their ancestors ,From Ellen gertrude allerton born 1883 skelmersdale . father edward allerton mother ann none lawrence . Edwards father william allerton mother ellen roughley . Parents of william where william and Ann to my knowledge, but we are thrown now as we think the name was ollerton as we can't find williams birth as allerton in ormskirk although he could have been born in Lathom . there is a birth in upholland of a william ollerton 1825 to william and ann Ollerton mmn eaves . but this is a bit of guess work on my part. we can find him afteras allerton . But your all good at deduction .so any help would be great . I think there is a marriage of william and ann eaves in upholland in 1825 . but whether this is the right parents or not remains to be seen . upholland isn't that far away from ormskirk or lathom .
Old 05-07-21, 08:42
Administrator

Your post is rather lacking in dates, but here's some census info for William b about 1826:

1851 census aged 25 b Lathom

1861 census aged 35 b Lathom

1871 census aged 45 b Lathom

1881 census aged 57 b Lathom

and is this the baptism you mentioned?:

Baptism: 3 Jun 1825 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
William Ollerton - Son of William Ollerton & Ann
Born: 2 Jun 1825
Abode: Lathom
Baptised by: R Battersby
Performed at: Lathom Chapel
Register: Baptisms 1820 - 1833, Page 180, Entry 2190
Source: LDS Film 1849664

You said "there is a birth in upholland" but Upholland isn't mentioned on this baptism, so if this isn't the baptism you found please can you post yours.

Siblings of William from Lancs OPC are Richard Allerton 1826, James Allerton 1830 and another James Allerton 1843. All these show abode Lathom and were bap at Ormskirk. Richard and James (the younger one) are with the parents in 1851 listed as sons.

On the 1841 census there is also a likely daughter Mary listed as aged 15, but she could be aged up to 19 (if the census was completed correctly!) and if she is a child of one or both of them, might be from a previous relationship.

I looked for a registration for James 1843 to pick up his mmn, but couldn't find one. He may not have been registered.

However, I think this helps:

Baptism: 29 Jan 1823 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
Mary Eves - Daughter of Ann Eves, Spinster
Born: 26 Jan 1823
Abode: Lathom
Baptised by: George Coventry
Performed at: Lathom Chapel
Register: Baptisms 1820 - 1833, Page 111, Entry 732
Source: LDS Film 1849664

Isn't it likely this is Mary Allerton in 1841?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-07-21, 08:45
Administrator

When you get back that far, there will likely be various different versions of the name. So there could also be Hallerton or Hollerton to look at. When you say "parents of William were William and Ann to my knowledge", do you mean that you know that, or that that is your best guess? On the William Allerton / Ellen Roughley marriage record, 24 Dec 1854, according to Lancs OPC, William was age 29 and his father was William, a farmer. So that fits with what you have. But there are a lot of people on there with similar names. Have you looked at censuses?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-07-21, 08:50
Administrator

Mary (a minor) married Thomas Birchall in 1842. She gave her father's details as William Ollerton, farmer. Of course he may have been her step-father, but the point is it's the same Mary as 1841 and presumably the 1823 baptism.

One of her children, John Birchall 16, is with William Ollerton (1797) on the 1871 census, listed as grandson.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-07-21, 09:04

Hi ,i'm so sorry ,i'm in between packing items up , and doing this , yes i found a marriage for ann eaves and william ollerton , in upholland st thomas the martyr in 1825. 12 th april, whether this is our william . as you have found the birth with similar mothers name . so it may be correct must have got mixed up with the upholland birth .
Old 05-07-21, 09:39
Administrator

There's a baptism for Ann Eves 18 Mar 1804 (born 24 Feb 1804) at St Paul's Liverpool, which is a good fit for Ann's age and birthplace on the 1851 census. Her parents are Richard (labourer, Cavendish St) and Mary. Whilst most families have a child called Mary, not everyone includes a Richard, but the Allertons had a son named Richard, so possibly named for Ann's father.

Old 05-07-21, 15:27

hi ,I have just seen a ancestry tree for william on family search and your right ann was born in liverpool in 1804 but it doesn't have her maiden name , which you have found . it says children -: mary 1823 william 1825 richard 1827 james 1831 and james 1843 , the previous james may have passed away . thomas birchall married mary allerton 1842 . so that looks correct . Then there are children from the birchall line and allerton line . so we can go back to william and ann which is great . Do you think the marriage at upholland is hers ?
Old 05-07-21, 15:35
Administrator

I took my information from the census, not from an online tree.

Which marriage are you referring to? The one between William Allerton and Ann Eves?

Old 05-07-21, 17:29

Yes i understand that , i knoepw sometimes the trees are not accurate . but they tally with your info . so they are reliable.
Old 05-07-21, 17:30

yes william and ann eves (eaves)