Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 30-03-21, 18:39
Administrator

Default What's going on with the 1939 Register?

I'm impatiently waiting for the record of my half 1st cousin once removed to be opened - the 100th anniversary of her birth is one week away, so I'm hoping she will appear soon after then.

While waiting, I thought I would check the total number of records each week - on FMP, because obviously the records get opened on there long before they do on Ancestry. I thought that would give me an idea of how often they do an update.

16th Mar 2021 - 34,848,536 records
23rd Mar 2021 - 34,848,670 records
30th Mar 2021 - 42,067,365 records.

?????!

The first two of those weeks, the records shown at the top of the list with no name were in Islington, but now the ones at the top (still with no name) are City of London. I haven't got a current sub to click through and see what's going on. Surely they haven't actually opened up 7 million people's records this week? Have they maybe added empty properties to the index or something?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 31-03-21, 13:07

This is the latest update I could find.

25th Dec 2020 FMP Friday blog.
1939 Register
As home to the biggest and most up-to-date version of the 1939 Register, we’ve just opened over 69,000 previously-redacted records.
Old 31-03-21, 13:18
Administrator

Thanks, Katarzyna. I have asked on FMP's Facebook page but no answer yet. Maybe they are waiting for "Findmypast Friday" to announce whatever they have done. My best guess it is unoccupied properties (offices and the like).

Old 31-03-21, 16:24

I'm waiting to see what my mum was up to in 1939. She was a 1st year student nurse at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge or, if not, at home in Rushmere St Andrew in Suffolk I'm assuming. I cannot see her anywhere else.
Mum died in 2012 and I contacted FMP twice, once with her home address and once with details of the Cambridge address last year but they could not find her. She would have been 100 this May so hopefully she should appear somewhere when they open up some more later.
Old 02-04-21, 10:44
Administrator

I asked on Facebook and FMP's Facebook team don't seem to know why there are so many new records either! I assumed they were waiting till "Findmypast Friday" to announce whatever they had added - I still think it must be unoccupied properties.

Old 23-04-21, 09:39
Administrator

This week's "Findmypast Fridays" says "Where were your relatives at the outbreak of the Second World War? Find out with a newly-opened tranche of over 95,000 records from 1939. We regularly open previously redacted 1939 Register entries making Findmypast's version the most up-to-date one available online."

Strange, because the total number of records on the "person search" is 42,067,366, just 1 higher than it was over three weeks ago. And no mention of the 7 million records that were added?! My relative who was born 6 Apr 1921 still doesn't show up, but I don't know whether that's because they haven't opened any records since the 100th anniversary of her birth, or because there is no record to open, or her dob is wrong on the Register or what.

Old 23-04-21, 10:21
Administrator

Isn't 42m more than the population of England and Wales at that time, and certainly more than the number of people born before 1921?

I could understand the 7m new entries being empty properties or somthing (though the number sounds too big really), but I don't see how the 95,000 they are advertising has not caused an increase in visible records.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-04-21, 10:34
Administrator

Same. I don't know whether those 95,000 records were actually opened weeks ago and they just waited for a quiet "Findmypast Fridays" week to announce them, or what.

Old 23-04-21, 10:36

I wouldn't wonder about the number being too high: Dad is on there twice. It's difficult to work out why, but I suspect it is people giving a home address but lodging elsewhere (Dad was in his first term in University)

Be interesting to know whether the totals include the redacted entries?
Old 23-04-21, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Same. I don't know whether those 95,000 records were actually opened weeks ago and they just waited for a quiet "Findmypast Fridays" week to announce them, or what.
That would be my gut reaction.