Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Four 6xGreat-Grandparents

Old 08-08-15, 19:03

Well, I got the same result. Traditional Soundex for surname, but then it said forenames beginning with, so I should have narrowed down the Christian name.

I switched to traditional soundex for the Christian name and got 11 hits! I'm not sure how that happened. It should have been less, surely.
Old 08-08-15, 22:48
Administrator

Thanks, Elizabeth. I hadn't thought of using Soundex. Most of them are Bowies.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-08-15, 23:19
Administrator

There was a George Buie in Elgin with a wife Margaret Cumming, and they had a son John baptised 11 Jan 1715. I wonder whether they had any children before him? Perhaps they're my George's parents. Edit - having looked on SP, this George was a maltman and also had a daughter Margaret in 1716 (surname spelt Bwie) but I couldn't find a George jr.

Also a George and Isobel Buy in Elgin had daughters Helen 27 Nov 1705 and Isobel 21 Dec 1708. Maybe the same George as above with a previous wife?

Old 10-08-15, 17:46
Administrator

I had a look at the testament dative and inventory of Andrew Buie, maltman, of Elgin, 1753, but the only family members mentioned are James Buie his son and Margaret Mitchell his wife.

Old 10-08-15, 18:13
Administrator

I think James Bowie in this is the James Buie in post #8, though of course it doesn't show whether he was related to my George:

The Annual Register 1761
The following very melancholy accident lately happened at Elgin in Scotland: One Harvie, a journeyman dyer, having bought of William Fraser, merchant, some gunpoweder, Harvie, to try the powder, loaded a pistol in the shop, with an intention to fire it. At the very instant he was about to fire, one James Finlay came into the shop, and called out to him to stop, as he knew a barrel of gunpowder was just by them; but his alarm unhappily came too late; the pistol flashed in the pan, and a spark flew into the cask, which contained about forty pounds weight, and which instantly blew up, and brought down the whole tenement. Finlay and Harvie were miraculously preserved, but Fraser the owner of the shop was killed by the explosion, which burst out at the door and windows, and carried the lintel stones of both to the opposite side of the street. The most shocking part of this fatal affair was, that Laurence Calder, merchant, James Bowie, maltman, James Grant, taylor, John Adam, and James Ross, being in the shade at the door of the shop, were carried off with such impetuosity, that Bowie and Grant were dashed to pieces, and killed against the walls of the houses on the opposite side of the street. They were found quite dead, and almost naked, their cloaths being almost entirely burnt off them. Calder was found alive, in the most dismal condition... he expired in a few hours. Ross is yet alive, but his recovery uncertain. It can hardly be accounted for, how Finlay and Harvie were preserved within the shop; but certain it is, they too likewise must have perished, had not the town's people, at the hazard of their lives, from the broken and tottering walls, dug them from beneath the rubbish, and in that manner saved their lives.

Old 24-08-21, 17:09
Administrator

I found out yesterday that the PR's for St Olave, Southwark, were available on FamilySearch, and I viewed the baptisms for George Buie's children, and looked through the burials from 1745 to Apr 1753 but didn't find George's burial. Then I saw that the apprenticeship records for his son Samuel are actually dated Apr 1757, not 1753, so I thought I would go through the burials for 1753 to 1757 today, as it was quite late last night, but now the images on FamilySearch are back to being locked again and I would have to go to a FamilySearch centre.

I guess I was just lucky yesterday!

Old 28-09-21, 19:40
Administrator

The images for St Olave Southwark are available on FamilySearch again today, so I looked at the burials up to Apr 1757 but didn't find him. The nearest I found was a George Buyly.

Tags
tf6g32