Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 08-06-21, 06:23
maggie_4_7

Thank you Janet excellent, amazing how you can decipher that.

Well went down a rabbit hole yesterday, found a few links but still no James Torrance Wilson. James Wilson Bain David's oldest son and his sister Elizabeth living at 38th Street Chicago with their aunt Mary his father David's sister. The Craig family is obviously connected some way but still not found the immigration records. He names James not Robert the father maybe some confusion there are lots of James' about especially Wilson ones.

Strange family so many links with so many people and families intertwined. My Scottish ancestors' siblings and children have travelled to every corner of the globe, Canada, USA, South Africa, South America, Australia, NZ and even Tahiti.
Old 08-06-21, 14:22

Found this on FMP. James T. Wilson with a sister, both adopted, in Irvine on the 1891.
Is that your James, and is that the Maggie who turns up with Robert Craig later?

James T Wilson in 1891
1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Stanecastle Cottage, Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 08-06-21 at 16:08. Reason: removed screenshot
Old 08-06-21, 15:15
Administrator

Are you sure the terms and conditions of FMP allow you to post that screenshot on here, please, Janet?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-06-21, 15:53
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Found this on FMP. James T. Wilson with a sister, both adopted, in Irvine on the 1891.
Is that your James, and is that the Maggie who turns up with Robert Craig later?

James T Wilson in 1891
1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Stanecastle Cottage, Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland
Yes I have all that, and both James and Sarah's death and his birth mother's death. It's when he gets to USA I lose him.

It's a complicated life he started with. His birth name is James Wilson Torrance. His father (James Wilson senior was his real father he is named on birth cert) married Sarah Rankin in 1886 but Margaret Torrance his father's first cousin gave birth to James junior in 1890 and was brought up by Sarah and his father James.

Maggie T in that census is Margaret Torrance's daughter but not James daughter as far as I know, no father's name on birth cert, I assume it was a man called Morrison, Maggie's actual name is Maggie Morrison Torrance and she goes back to Margaret Torrance when Margaret Torrance marries William Wright a few years later.

I will never know if Sarah knew James senior was James' real father or even that James Torrance Wilson knew himself. Because Margaret Torrance was James senior's cousin Sarah may have thought nothing about taking James. Although in such a small village I don't know how they would keep it secret. James Wilson and Sarah Rankin had no children of their own.

James Wilson Senior was my grandmother Agnes McEwan's great uncle and her mother Mary Ann Walker Wilson's uncle, Margaret Torrance was Mary Ann Walker Wilson's cousin. James died at Agnes' house in Bridgeton, Glasgow in 1940 he was born in 1864. My uncle James Wilson Young registered his death. Sarah died in Coatbridge in 1935 then James went to live with my father's family in Bridgeton.

I found out today who Maggie is on the census in 1910 USA she isn't related but Robert Craig is, his mother Margaret McAllister's mother's surname is Rankin so could be a sister or cousin to James Wilson senior's wife Sarah Rankin.

Told you it was complicated .

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 11-06-21 at 08:13.
Old 08-06-21, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Are you sure the terms and conditions of FMP allow you to post that screenshot on here, please, Janet?
Oh, I am so sorry. I thought that much was safe but if you're not sure, Kite, then I'm not the least bit sure. Maggie says she has all that anyway, so I've removed the screenshot.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 08-06-21, 16:17
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Oh, I am so sorry. I thought that much was safe but if you're not sure, Kite, then I'm not the least bit sure. Maggie says she has all that anyway, so I've removed the screenshot.
Thank you Janet.

Did you read the story of his beginnings in life, I expanded a bit and edited, that is really why I wanted to know what happened to him.

Now you know why I get very confused with my Scottish side, its a complex maze of intertwined relationships and families but then they did live in 3 small villages in Ayrshire who tended to use all the same names and names that were very common.
Old 08-06-21, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
[...]
Told you it was complicated .
Thanks for all that, Maggie! I'll keep an eye out. You're right, he's doing a good job of hiding.

He could be anywhere really. I've seen a number of entries for incoming passengers where they give names and addresses for friends and relatives that can be verified by the authorities, but that might just be to gain entry and possibly not where they end up going.

It's a big country with lots of transportation and far-flung job opportunities. The horizon's the only limit, and that's a moving target. Especially, I take it, for your lot!

Janet (Niagara)
Old 08-06-21, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
Thank you Janet.

Did you read the story of his beginnings in life, I expanded a bit and edited, that is really why I wanted to know what happened to him.

Now you know why I get very confused with my Scottish side, its a complex maze of intertwined relationships and families but then they did live in 3 small villages in Ayrshire who tended to use all the same names and names that were very common.
Okay, yes, have now gone back to your earlier post and seen your edits. The plot thickens!

Janet (Niagara)
Old 08-06-21, 16:33
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Thanks for all that, Maggie! I'll keep an eye out. You're right, he's doing a good job of hiding.

He could be anywhere really. I've seen a number of entries for incoming passengers where they give names and addresses for friends and relatives that can be verified by the authorities, but that might just be to gain entry and possibly not where they end up going.

It's a big country with lots of transportation and far-flung job opportunities. The horizon's the only limit, and that's a moving target. Especially, I take it, for your lot!
Just to let you know. I know that is James on that manifest because the address he has given for his father is 7 West Road Irvine and that is the address both James and Sarah is living at and David Bain is James senior's sister's Janet's (Jessie) husband.

I thought I found him yesterday before posting that manifest, I got really excited, same name same DOB on Find a Grave but I found his marriage entry and some census. He names his mother as Anna and is born in the USA and he with parents and siblings
Old 08-06-21, 21:54

Oh dear. Maggie, I think maybe he died. Informant James Craig, Jasonville, Indiana. Is this him?
James Wilson - Male - White - 20 - Single - Feb 1890 - Scotland - 19 Jan 1911 - Jasonville, Greene

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 08-06-21 at 21:57.