Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!



Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 30-05-21, 18:48
JohnS JohnS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Warrington, Cheshire
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Ethel Sharratt marriage to Neilson Apr-Jun 1953 Chester
Edith Mary Sharratt had a younger sister Ethel, born 7 May 1908, Hoylake, Wirral.

I was always of the imression it was her who married John Neilson and moved to Scotland?
At the time though I wasn't aware of the Ethel born in 1930.

I actually have a (verified) photo of the wedding of Ethel & John, although I must admit that I have entered the following note against the marriage entry in my tree:
Research Note: This marriage to be confirmed as it would make her 45 at the time, which is probably older than she looks on her wedding photograph.

This now leaves me with nothing but a birth 7 May 1908 and baptism 30 Jul 1908 for Ethel (my aunt), who was always elusive and difficult to research.
__________________
John Sharratt, Warrington, Cheshire
I've been down so long now, it's beginning to look like up.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30-05-21, 18:56
kiterunner's Avatar
kiterunner kiterunner is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
Edith Mary Sharratt had a younger sister Ethel, born 7 May 1908, Hoylake, Wirral.

I was always of the imression it was her who married John Neilson and moved to Scotland?
At the time though I wasn't aware of the Ethel born in 1930.

I actually have a (verified) photo of the wedding of Ethel & John, although I must admit that I have entered the following note against the marriage entry in my tree:
Research Note: This marriage to be confirmed as it would make her 45 at the time, which is probably older than she looks on her wedding photograph.

This now leaves me with nothing but a birth 7 May 1908 and baptism 30 Jul 1908 for Ethel (my aunt), who was always elusive and difficult to research.
Ethel Neilson died in 2018 age 88 so must be the one born 1930.
__________________
KiteRunner

Family History News updated 10th Jul
Glamorgan Electoral Registers 1832-1978 new on Ancestry
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 30-05-21, 21:47
kiterunner's Avatar
kiterunner kiterunner is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,886
Default

There is an Ethel Sharatt death Apr-Jun 1969 Spilsby district (Lincolnshire), dob 7 May 1908. I will see if I can find her on the 1939 Register.
__________________
KiteRunner

Family History News updated 10th Jul
Glamorgan Electoral Registers 1832-1978 new on Ancestry
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 30-05-21, 21:56
kiterunner's Avatar
kiterunner kiterunner is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,886
Default

No luck with the 1939 Register, I'm afraid.
__________________
KiteRunner

Family History News updated 10th Jul
Glamorgan Electoral Registers 1832-1978 new on Ancestry
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30-05-21, 22:10
kiterunner's Avatar
kiterunner kiterunner is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,886
Default

Oh, there is an Ethel Jones death index entry matching the Ethel Sharatt one, so maybe she was known as Mrs Jones but not married to Mr Jones?

There is a family on the 1939 Register in Skegness (which was in Spilsby registration district):
William J Jones 29 Mar 1900 Lorry Driver
Ethel Jones 7 May 1908 Unpaid Household Duties
a little girl - name later changed to Collingwood - the fact that the record is open should mean she is deceased but I haven't managed to find a death record and I know some have been wrongly opened so I won't put full details
and a closed record.

Of course it's easy to go wrong with a name like Jones so I could be on the wrong track! Does Skegness ring any bells with you?
__________________
KiteRunner

Family History News updated 10th Jul
Glamorgan Electoral Registers 1832-1978 new on Ancestry
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 30-05-21, 22:46
Merry's Avatar
Merry Merry is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Near Christchurch, Dorset
Posts: 22,066
Default

lol An hour behind you Kate, but I found the same entries!
__________________
Merry

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30-05-21, 23:01
Merry's Avatar
Merry Merry is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Near Christchurch, Dorset
Posts: 22,066
Default

The entry that's blanked out in 1939 is probably a birth from Q4 1938, Spilsby district.
__________________
Merry

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 31-05-21, 06:59
maggie_4_7 maggie_4_7 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London
Posts: 4,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Oh, there is an Ethel Jones death index entry matching the Ethel Sharatt one, so maybe she was known as Mrs Jones but not married to Mr Jones?

There is a family on the 1939 Register in Skegness (which was in Spilsby registration district):
William J Jones 29 Mar 1900 Lorry Driver
Ethel Jones 7 May 1908 Unpaid Household Duties
a little girl - name later changed to Collingwood - the fact that the record is open should mean she is deceased but I haven't managed to find a death record and I know some have been wrongly opened so I won't put full details
and a closed record.

Of course it's easy to go wrong with a name like Jones so I could be on the wrong track! Does Skegness ring any bells with you?
There is birth registration for a child under the name Sharratt maiden surname of mother Sharratt in Southwark for Jan 1937, could possibly be the same one.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 31-05-21, 12:08
JohnS JohnS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Warrington, Cheshire
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Ethel Neilson / Sharratt death 2018 Bellshill, Scotland, age 88, MMN Sharratt (on Scotland's People).
Great find and definitely the right person. I've not used Scotland's People before but have now registered. I notice that, unlike the GRO, they don't give a quarter date. I'm wondering if anything can be gleaned from the Reference 566/ 393 alongside the name with regard to date?
__________________
John Sharratt, Warrington, Cheshire
I've been down so long now, it's beginning to look like up.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 31-05-21, 13:18
maggie_4_7 maggie_4_7 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London
Posts: 4,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
Great find and definitely the right person. I've not used Scotland's People before but have now registered. I notice that, unlike the GRO, they don't give a quarter date. I'm wondering if anything can be gleaned from the Reference 566/ 393 alongside the name with regard to date?
Its the registration district number:

Bellshill (formerly Bothwell)Lanark 19722006 Old RD 566 Today's RD566

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/resear...tion-districts

The other numbers maybe number in register.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:17.


Hosted by Photon IT

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 PL3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.