Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 29-05-21, 15:14

Default Ancestry DNA matching

Hi I’ve done my ancestry DNA, and I’m looking to see if any body has matched back to Captain John Grono and his wife Elizabeth Bristow of NSW dying in the 1840s Ebenezer. They had a large family. I believe I’m from there daughter Jane Grono whom married (2) Michael Mitchell. My current DNA shows no known DNA connection to Grono, but Iam to the Mitchell family all be it one son. Curious to know who is linked and why this doesn’t show on my thru lines
Cheers
Murray
Old 29-05-21, 15:27
Administrator

How many generations back in your tree are Jane and Michael?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 29-05-21, 15:37
Administrator

This is a link to an old thread about John Grono and Elizabeth Bristow:
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...ighlight=grono

I came to the conclusion that they were not related to my Bristows. Also, the DNA manager of my DNA match (who had the Grono / Bristow couple in their tree) also manages other DNA tests which match to me, and from those it is clear that my shared DNA with that person comes from a different branch of their tree, not the Grono / Bristow one.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-05-21, 00:41

The connection to John and Elizabeth may not show in your ThruLines for several reasons.

ThruLines are based on connecting together Ancestry trees, both public and private. If your tree or other trees don't show the connecting generations, then ThruLines don't work. it may also take some time to "populate" your ThruLines as people add or add to their family trees.
Some of our ThruLines are taken from four or five other trees - and some of them are wrong. If someone else has the wrong person in their tree, then it creates a false ThruLine.

As for shared DNA matches, if John and Elizabeth are beyond your great-great grandparents, ie 3x great, 4x great or 5x great, and your DNA matches are less than 20cM, then Ancestry will not show them as matches. The only time I have found the less than 20cM matches being shown on Ancestry is if they have a good family tree and can link the Common Ancestor (and ThruLine).

Have you tried using the search facility on the DNA matches page - you can search for the name Grono or Mitchell in others families trees. This might bring up some matches than are very small or don't appear to be obvious.