Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 23-05-21, 13:02

Default Two burials/memorials?

findmypast had some new Scottish memorial transcriptions released recently. I was having a look to see if we got images or just transcriptions and found a memorial for my 4g grandfather James Crawford.

I then googled to see if I could find an image of the memorial elsewhere, which I failed to do. However, I did find a find-a-grave memorial for the same James at a different cemetery, which triggered a memory of a distant connection saying there was a family vault or something on an island, a place I would not have looked.

Can anyone think of a reason there would be 2 grave type things for 1 person?

Attached are the pages, if anyone wants to look.

FMP

Findagrave

FMP mentions a daughter Sarah I have never heard of and can't find a baptism for. I've found her likely death on Scotland's People in 1818.
Old 23-05-21, 14:26
Administrator

I haven't got an FMP sub to look at the FMP entry, but I don't put much faith in Find a Grave nowadays, since people submit stuff from their own family tree research rather than just doing their own local cemetery or graveyard. However, in this particular case, there is a transcription of the gravestone to go by.

I have come across situations where there are two memorials to the same person - one in the graveyard where they were actually buried, and another on a family gravestone elsewhere. So it could be the same here. Maybe the person who had the gravestone erected / inscribed, wanted to memorialise him even though he wasn't buried there.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 23-05-21, 16:08
Administrator

My granddad is on two graves, in Oxfordshire and Dorset. My g-grandfather's brother is also on two, in Cambridgeshire and Tasmania. Took me years to realise there was a good reason his death wasn't registered in the UK!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-05-21, 21:22

I missed out a whole chunk of my family because of a name on a monumental inscription - I ASSUMED he was buried there. Took many years for the penny to drop.

OC
Old 24-05-21, 00:12

Our Cole family memorial in Melbourne General Cemetery has more than 10 names on, and I know they aren't all buried there. But its a great reference point!
Old 29-05-21, 06:31

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the lack of response. My laptop died.

I'm not normally a huge fan of findagrave but the details on there remind me of what a new cousin told me, however she went on holidays and never responded again. She said she had pictures

Marquette I have a great aunt mentioned on a memorial in Orange who is buried in Rookwood, but there is no headstone at Rookwood. I don't think I've come across anyone before with multiple memorials. The Crawfords had money back then, I think, so it might be a prestige thing.
Old 23-06-21, 12:04

Findagrave has always been useful for me though I don't take everything on there as gospel, I use it as a basis for further research. As with any other transcription the details recorded on a gravestone are at best viewed with caution, dates may be incorrect, spellings may vary, middle names may be omitted or suddenly appear from nowhere.

I've entered and linked a lot of family on there in one cemetery in Lincolnshire though someone did a mass spreadsheet upload of burial registers around the same time. That person is based in Australia and has added over 5 million burials but knows nothing about them and isn't inclined to delve beyond the details from the register. I found a youngster yesterday who died aged 11 months, I have the registers and checked the plots, he's buried with his great grandparents, the surnames are different and at first glance seem entirely different individuals but a few minutes of cross referencing parish records, bmd and plot numbers I've pieced them together.
My coal is spent, my iron's gone
My nails are drove, my work is done
Lord receive my soul
Old 29-06-21, 10:39

I agree that findagrave is good but needs checking. I was also cross checking FMP's transcriptions too and looking for images of graves if possible.

I definitely take gravestones with a pinch of salt. There was a fair bit of disagreement over my grandma's headstone as some had the date wrong. I think someone eventually dug out the death certificate to solve the argument.
Old 29-06-21, 11:30

I've just added the burial of a Scottish family member to my tree. He was a policeman from Aberdeen, but he died at Battle in Sussex and was buried at Eastbourne.

I also found he was on the memorial of his parents-in-law at Aberdeen.