Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-02-16, 14:59
Administrator

I know we have gone over this a few times before. Ellen's birthplace on the censuses is Wigan. This thread has info on Ellen's parents etc:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...ad.php?t=21594

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-02-16, 19:36
Administrator

Oh, OK - I'd forgotten we had already done the previous generation!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-02-16, 05:37

Yes the thread is about William Grimshaw born 1825 , we have been through that tree before . I am searching the Grimshaws , history. They only display marriages at st Katherine's Blackrod in the 1700s . So I may have to visit the ancestry centre at Preston , to search throughly .
Old 20-02-16, 07:16
Administrator

When I looked briefly at Lancs OPC there seemed to be about half a dozen illegitimate babies baptised at Blackrod at around the right time. I wonder if any of those could be eliminated without the help of the marriages? I think the Blackrod burials are available so firstly you might be able to work out if any of those babies had died.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-02-16, 10:20

Looking llegitimate boys named William baptised in Blackrod in the mid 1820s, there are the following:

- William Makinson, bpt 10 Oct 1824, mother Alice Makinson, abode Blackrod.
- William Lord, bpt 7 Nov 1824, mother Jane Lord, abode Westhoughton.
- William Corner, bpt 15 May 1825, mother Hannah Corner, abode Blackrod.
- William Farrington, bpt 5 June 1825, mother Alice Farrington, abode Horwich.
- William Partington, bpt 29 Oct 1826, mother Ellen Partington, abode St Ellens.
- William Sherreton, bpt 25 Dec 1826, mother Margaret Sherreton, abode Blackrod.

I found William Partington on the 1841 census in Blackrod - with Grimshaws. Poss a co-incidence, but worth checking out. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/89...d=&usePUB=true

1841 Church Street, Blackrod
John Grimshaw, 65, cotton weaver
Margaret Grimshaw, 60
William Partington, 15, dyer
Martha Partington, 10, tearer
All born in country

There is another Grimshaw family in Church Street as well.

William Grimshaw, 40, dyer
Betty Grimshaw, 40
John Grimshaw, 15, dyer
Thomas Grimshaw, 15, dyer
Betty Grimshaw, 13
William Grimshaw, 11
Jane Grimshaw, 8
Ellen Grimshaw, 6
Michael Grimshaw, 3
James Grimshaw, 1

The family immediately above appear on the 1851 census - still in Church Street. While the father, William, was born in Adlington, Betty and all the children (with the addition of seven-year-old Moses) were born in Blackrod. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/88...d=&usePUB=true

I looked for a baptism of the Martha Partington (Bishhop's Transcripts on Ancestry) who was 10 in the 1841 census and living with Grimshaws and found a baptism at Westhoughton (about four miles from Blackrod): Martha Partington, baptised 18 May 1831 at St Bartholomew's, Westhoughton, mother's name Elizabeth Partington, weaver, abode Westhoughton. No father is recorded.
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/25...d=&usePUB=true

It may be - if William Partington is correct - that he was raised by Grimshaw grandparents and took in the name of Grimshaw and used that name when he married.

As I said, may be a huge red herring.

Last edited by Shona; 20-02-16 at 10:22.
Old 20-02-16, 10:52
Administrator

One of the witnesses at William's marriage was Margaret Bolton. The mother of Wm Sherreton in Shona's list was also a Margaret. If this research was in another county it would be very likely those two Margaret's were the same woman, but I appreciate in Lancashire Margarets were 10 a penny in those days!! Still, just a thought.

Old 20-02-16, 11:20

Ah yes, Merry.

The Grimshaw-Partington find is prob a red herring. That John and Margaret Grimshaw who had 15-year-old William Partington and 10-year-old Martha Partington with them in 1841 also appear on the 1851 census (entry split over two pages, but still next door to the other Grimshaw family) - they are recorded as brother and sister, both unmarried.

The brother and sister are still around in Church Street in 1861 (aged 86 and 84). The next door Grimshaw family have been replaced by a certain William Partington, 38, ag lab, his wife Ellen (38) and four children - Ellen, 12, William, eight, George, five and Mary, three. I suspect, therefore, this William Partington is the same one as on the 1841 census. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/87...d=&usePUB=true

Shall we eliminate William Partington as a possibility?
Old 20-02-16, 11:46
Administrator

Quote:
Shall we eliminate William Partington as a possibility?
At least put him on the back burner!

Old 20-02-16, 12:33
Administrator

The name Sherreton seems to be pretty rare but there are quite a few Sherringtons in Lancashire.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 20-02-16, 13:37

Had a look for Sherringtons.

There is a baptism of a Thomas, son of John (miner) and Margaret in Blackrod on 23 March 1824.

So there are people with the Sherrington surname in the parish at about the right time.

Also found an Ellin Sherrington who died at the age of 18 in 1836 in the Blackrod colliery following an explosion of firedamp (11 people killed in total).

Then there is a William Sherrington who was buried in Blackrod on 5 January 1880, aged 56. I wonder if he could be the William Sherreton born to Margaret and baptised in 1826.