Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-05-21, 09:45
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Yes!

I have found the same problem with Scottish records. Because the marriages are copies, it offers the opportunity for transcription errors to creep in, like we see on censuses, where the enumerator has made mistakes.
Yes that's what I thought you meant.

But for her original marriage, which was in Kent to Martin Meskell she was 18 so it seems she was in Kent probably with parents or family and then was in Calcutta. She may have travelled to Calcutta with Meskell who was a soldier but parents remained in Kent.

If her father was a Staff Seargent is that a clerical position?
Old 10-05-21, 09:50
Administrator

It might be worth reading through this old thread:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...ghlight=olivia

I think Tom tried to link to it in his original post on this thread.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-05-21, 09:57
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
It might be worth reading through this old thread:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...ghlight=olivia

I think Tom tried to link to it in his original post on this thread.
Ahh so it has all been found before.
Old 10-05-21, 10:32

When researching the first husband of soldier in the 71st Regiment of Foot - she re-married to another soldier in the 71st - OH's ancestor.

I went to the National Archives and worked through the records and the Muster books for the Regiment and found out when he was last paid - the entry said that he'd died whilst on furlough in Crieff on 17 Jan 1859 - the death wasn't registered either in Crieff, nor Stirling where he was stationed or in Berwick where his wife was.

Other entries for soldiers said they'd deserted so believe that the Army must have had proof he'd died but no trace of a burial either.

Perhaps it might be worth trawling the Regimental records for your man to see when he was no longer with the Regiment and what happened to him whether retired, transferred to another Regiment or died and where.
Old 10-05-21, 17:19

Thank you everyone. Sorry, I did try to link to the old thread, but obviously didn’t paste it in.

Olivia did marry Martin Meskell first and then Thomas Kerr second. I haven’t seen an original of the Kerr-Olivia marriage, but can see Jannaway becoming Shannon with some poor writing.

I think regimental records might be the next thing. I’ve never done anything with them before, so it will be a steep learning curve!
Old 10-05-21, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
It is Olivia I found another marriage of Olivia Meskell to a Thomas Kerr in 1871 in Calcutta, Bengal, India. Thomas Kerr is on her death cert as husband.

Bride's age 19.Her father's name is transcribed as Henry and surname Shannon! So same person but is the original Olivia in Scotland someone else entirely or has her father's name got mixed up! Need to see original image to check transcription!

Checked image definitely Henry Shannon difficult to read Rank but of the 14th Regiment of Foot.

Sorry Maggie, missed that you had seen the original! I don’t have FMP, so may have to buy a few credits.
I do remember someone once suggesting that Henry’s Shannon could have been some sort of guardian as she was a young widow. It was also said that she would have had to remarry quickly to stay with the regiment.
Old 11-05-21, 09:14
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
Thank you everyone. Sorry, I did try to link to the old thread, but obviously didn’t paste it in.

Olivia did marry Martin Meskell first and then Thomas Kerr second. I haven’t seen an original of the Kerr-Olivia marriage, but can see Jannaway becoming Shannon with some poor writing.

I think regimental records might be the next thing. I’ve never done anything with them before, so it will be a steep learning curve!
No problem I should have read your post correctly I have trouble concentrating these days.

I have been having a look around and your James Jannaway and his wife are very elusive.
Old 11-05-21, 09:17
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
Sorry Maggie, missed that you had seen the original! I don’t have FMP, so may have to buy a few credits.
I do remember someone once suggesting that Henry’s Shannon could have been some sort of guardian as she was a young widow. It was also said that she would have had to remarry quickly to stay with the regiment.
I wouldn't bother spending money yet because as Phoenix said (have I understood this correctly Phoenix) it is an handwritten copy transcribed from original which could have been transcribed/copied incorrectly.
Old 11-05-21, 09:43

That's my feeling, Maggie - though I don't know whether the originals would have survived.

As starters, the book The Forlorn Hope lists where the various regiments went, so it would provide places to check for marriages and burials.