Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-06-21, 13:40
maggie_4_7

The name of the child on the 1939 Register that you can see may be the middle name and not the first name.

Edit to ask: has anyone found a marriage for this child yet?

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 02-06-21 at 13:43.
Old 02-06-21, 13:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
The name of the child on the 1939 Register that you can see may be the middle name and not the first name.

Edit to ask: has anyone found a marriage for this child yet?
Yes, there is a likely marriage in 1958 with a middle initial matching the given name from the 1939 Register, but I don't want to post too many details on here as the person may still be alive despite their 1939 Register record having been opened.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-06-21, 14:16
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Yes, there is a likely marriage in 1958 with a middle initial matching the given name from the 1939 Register, but I don't want to post too many details on here as the person may still be alive despite their 1939 Register record having been opened.

Ahhh right.
Old 02-06-21, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
If the Jan 1937 birth is a child of Ethel's, then there can't be another in Q3 1937. I still can't find the Q3 birth in Spilsby.
Ah, just checked. The Q3 is in Oldbury, Worcestershire but the two names are correct.
I can't find the birth for the Q1 1937.
Old 02-06-21, 17:15
Administrator

Quote:
I think the one Maggie found was registered in the mother's surname and was in London.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-06-21, 19:04
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
Ah, just checked. The Q3 is in Oldbury, Worcestershire but the two names are correct.

The birth I found was Jan 1937 Southwark London.
Old 09-06-21, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
I've just ordered the birth cert for Ethel Sharratt b.1930 in the hope that it will confirm Edith Mary as her mother.

Also ordered the marriage cert for Ethel Sharratt & John Neilson 1953 to see who Ethel lists as her father (also some info on John Neilson).
Received certs today which confirms Edith Mary as Ethel's mother.

9 Feb 1930, Maternity Home, Poulton-cum-Spital. Ethel, Girl, Father's name and occupation left blank. Mother, Edith Mary Sharratt, Domestic Servant of 1 Walker Street, Hoylake-cum-West Kirby U.D. Informant, E.M. Sharratt, Mother, Maternity Home, Poulton-cum-Spital. 19 Feb 1930, G.H. Tomlinson, Registrar.

18 Apr 1953 after banns. John Neilson, 22, Bachelor, Plumber, 22a Green Street, Stonehouse, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Father Walter Neilson, Miner. Ethel Sharratt, 23, Spinster, 26 Curzon Park North, Chester. (No father's name recorded). Witnesses M. Smith & R. Cuthbertson. Ceremony conducted by H.J. Williams.

From the information on the marriage cert I think John's parents were Walter Neilson & Elizabeth Frew (ScotlandsPeople Marr: 1930 Ref. 656/5 Stonehouse) and that John died in 2017 (ScotlandsPeople Death: 2017 Ref. 577/841 Hamilton), a year before Ethel (ScotlandsPeople Death: 2018 Ref. 566/393 Bellshill). Hamilton & Bellshill are very close to each other. One may have died in hospital and the other at home.