Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-03-12, 19:11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
William Forbes-Leslie was in South Africa in 1901 according to the medal rolls on ancestry.
and in jail in the 1930s!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-03-12, 19:15
Administrator

There's a WW1 medal card for a Major General John Burton Forster; wonder whether that's him? There is a Henry Burton Forster who got married in 1917 age 27 (in the LMA records) whose father is John Burton Forster, Major General CB.

Family History News updated 19th July
Gwent Workhouse Registers 1833-1957 new on Ancestry
Old 10-03-12, 19:18
Administrator

John Burton Forster is on the National Probate Calendar as dying in 1938 so he must be the John B Forster who died that year age 82. So he would be born about 1856, which would mean he was definitely old enough to have been married to Adelaide in 1878.

Got to go and eat in a minute.

Family History News updated 19th July
Gwent Workhouse Registers 1833-1957 new on Ancestry
Old 11-03-12, 08:58
Administrator

This is solved now!

Adelaide is the dau of Herbert Manders and his wife Elizabeth from Dubin They married in Ireland in 1857 and she was b 1858ish in Ireland. They are in London in 1871 but Adelaide is in a school in Chelsea. I can't find her in 1881 - probably she was abroad.

Herbert Manders died in 1871 three doors down from where I was living in Bournemouth in 1972!

Thank you all for your help.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-03-12, 14:00

Merry, I expect you saw this:
http://www.gravesfa.org/gen035.htm

"Henry Graves (80) married Anne Stephenson in 1835. (R?1)
Children - Graves
114. William Graves, b. 1838, m. Mary Theodore Beatson Cockrane, d. 1907.
115. Henry Graves, b. 1843, d. 1876 (in the Ashanti War).
116. Capt.) George Graves, m(1) ??????, m(2) Miss Massey. He was Harbor Master of Kingston.
117. Elizabeth Graves, m. Herbert Manders (of Richview, Co. Dublin, Ireland), 1857."
Old 11-03-12, 14:01

Also this:

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy..../cf19220525198

They were both minors. I thought they must have been after reading the 1871 census.
Old 11-03-12, 14:21
Administrator

Thanks for that Elizab
eth. I had seen the first, but not the second. Everything is slotting together nicely!

Old 25-03-12, 14:05

Hi Merry,

Very interested in this info about my great grand mother Adelaide Manders.
My understanding is that her first marriage was to Foster who was an officer in the 8th Hussars. The regiment was sent to India and whilst there Manders, who was reputed to be very attractive had an affair with a fellow officer, Captain Stanley Williams. Divorce proceedings were initiated in India. Stanley Williams had to resign his commission.

Stanley Williams and Foster/Manders were married in London in December 1883. However some doubt was caste over the validity of this marriage because of a question mark about the validity of Manders divorce in India in the UK. Once they had finally resolved this matter they married again in December 1884.

This had reverberations regarding the legitimacy of Joseph Stanley Williams and his sister Ivy Elizabeth Williams.

We believe that Adelaide Manders was born in Dublin and that she had a younger sister Florence.

In the family Adelaide Manders was known as "the boulter." After her divorce from Stanley all pictures of her were removed. So we do not know what she looked like. But she was reputed to be very beautiful and according to my grandmother she had "IT".

According to family memory she was reputed to have had five husbands including "a Spanish/Dutch duke."

1. Foster 1878
2. GS Williams 1883/84 divorced 1896
3. William Forbes-Leslie 1897 judicial separation 1920/nullity 1921
4. ?
5. ?

We believe that she lived on the South coast (Brighton?) and died ther during the late 1930s. We think she may have suffered from severe arthritis in her old age.
Old 25-03-12, 17:45
Administrator

Hi Charles, welcome to GF

Quote:
This had reverberations regarding the legitimacy of Joseph Stanley Williams and his sister Ivy Elizabeth Williams.

We believe that Adelaide Manders was born in Dublin and that she had a younger sister Florence.
I hadn't spotted that Joseph Stanley Williams had a sister - when and where was she born?

Adelaide Manders siblings:

Annie Manders b 2 Dec 1865 Dundrum and Glencullen, Dublin, Ireland Herbert Manders, Elizabeth Graves
Margaret Manders b 26 Sep 1867 Dundrum & Glencullen, Dub, Ireland Herbert Manders, Elizabeth Graves
Henry Herbert Manders b 29 Aug 1870 Dublin, Ireland Herbert Manders, Elizabeth Greaves

Florence and Herbert are listed with their parents in 1871 in Kensington.

Old 26-03-12, 10:52

Hi Merry,

My info is that Ivy Williams was born at Copse Wood, Walton on the Hill 19th February 1883.

It seems that Adelaide Manders/Foster/Williams/Forbes-Leslie - Duchess of Villano- had a total of 6 children. I'm interested in finding out more about Louis Forbes Leslie allegedly born in Paris in 1904. He is recorded in 1911 Census as at a prep school in Hastings and then he seems to disappear....