Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 30-08-12, 14:06
Administrator

In the article I linked to towards the start of this thread Patrick said he was hoping to learn more about one of his grandfathers, so I wonder if he was disappointed with how the programme went?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 30-08-12, 15:08

Dug up a few more clues looking at other interviews, etc.

D Tel 12/1/2007 quote: 'My father was born near Jarrow.'

Wikipedia on Jarrow: PS 'spent most of his childhood in Jarrow'.

A message board comment said that in a talk he'd given he stated that his dad came from Hebburn.

I'm sure in the show he said that his mother never left Mirfield. So were the three boys brought up by grandparents?

The family in South Shields could still be the correct one. The grandfather who was a theatre carpenter may have been his maternal grandfather.

Also another posting I saw stated that his grandfather (not specified which) was a Jarrow marcher. However, there are no Cossoms or Stewarts in the list of marchers. Mind you, some were meant to go on the march but were ill.
Old 30-08-12, 15:59
Administrator

Ddi they mention if Alfred had a middle name? I picked the death reg from looking at the marriage which had no middle name. The death reg gave a dob of end of March 1905 which is what led me to the Shields birth. It's too much for me to look as I'm on my phone and in the car (not driving, but wobbly!)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 30-08-12, 16:11
Administrator

Quote:
Also another posting I saw stated that his grandfather (not specified which) was a Jarrow marcher.
James Irvine Stewart died in the late 1920s, so perhaps it was the other grandfather who was a Jarrow marcher? (unless James is the wrong family, but your last couple of posts have made me think perhaps I had the right people all along (by luck, rather than by proper judgement!)

Old 30-08-12, 16:45

Did they mention if Alfred had a middle name?

Don't recall them mentioning a middle name.

Also have double-checked the 2007 DT article and it did say that the grandfather was named William Stewart.

Also Patrick named his eldest son Daniel Freedom Stewart after his maternal grandfather.
Old 30-08-12, 16:51
Administrator

Quote:
Also have double-checked the 2007 DT article and it did say that the grandfather was named William Stewart.
Interesting as that means the Shields one is wrong, and yet:

Quote:
D Tel 12/1/2007 quote: 'My father was born near Jarrow.'
South Shields and Jarrow are nextdoor to each other!

I'm not entirely sure why I keep wanting to persevere with this! Maybe I should actually watch the programme! lol Might get the chance this evening.

Old 30-08-12, 16:58

Lots of people in Jarrow claim to have had a relative in the Jarrow marches! Hebburn where PS says his father was born in in South Shields registration district. The reference to William is from the DT article. Poss his materal grandmother remarried?
Old 30-08-12, 16:59

When your watching freeze the screen and see if you can read any of the documents!
Old 30-08-12, 17:13
Administrator

Will do!! lol

Quote:
The reference to William is from the DT article. Poss his materal grandmother remarried?
Quite a co-incidence, though these things do happen!

I should get to watch it at about 8pm and will have my trigger finger over the pause button Watch this space after 9pm.............

Old 30-08-12, 17:13

Not sure if this is of any help.

There is an Alfred Leslie Stewart 1902 Barrow in Furness, Lancashire on 1911 with parenst William Stewart and Agnes Ann (nee Parker).

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=30776433

Alfred died in 1980 in Barking & Dagenham, London.

William is a Painter.