Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 06-09-11, 11:25
Administrator

Oh, it looks as though Francis Hopkins' mother was called Esther, so she must be Esther Brown Johnson. Calveley in Cheshire was in Bunbury parish, and there is this baptism on FamilySearch:

Francis Hopkins baptised 6 Aug 1843 Bunbury, Cheshire, parents Thomas and Esther. They also had James 1838, Martha 1840, Thomas 1842, Samuel 1845 and Esther 1847.

Anyway, that sorts Francis and Esther out; the others might not be so easy with such common names.

The marriage looks likely to be Thomas Hopkins / Esther Johnson Apr-Jun 1838 West Bromwich. There is an Esther Hopkins death in 1847 but there is no age shown on Cheshire BMD so I'm not sure whether it's Esther senior or junior. I haven't found the family in 1851 yet.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-09-11, 11:30
Administrator

Oops, forgot to post up the Hopkins family in 1841:
Bunbury, Cheshire
Thomas Hopkins 35 Brick maker N
Esther Do 25 N
Leonard Do 10 Y
James Do 2 Y
Martha Do 1 Y

Old 06-09-11, 12:19
borobabs

Cor you had me baffled there Kate lol , been babysitting all morning so just saw this and went to bed early last night ,,,
Yes thats the right family but didnt have Esthers marriage or anything ,,

All the Johnsons where Roll turners well nearly all right through to my G Grandfather who well ?? worked in works and all sorts and then grandad well dont want to say much about him , Dad said he was drunkard and waster ;;;pass

So how is this going to get us back a gen Kate ??? or am I missing something , if so sorry but shattered

Last edited by borobabs; 06-09-11 at 12:22.
Old 06-09-11, 12:36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by borobabs View Post

So how is this going to get us back a gen Kate ??? or am I missing something , if so sorry but shattered
Quote:
Originally Posted by borobabs View Post
Just nudging this Linda Herriot found the children of James and Elizabeth through hugh wallis site site , (thanks Merry for reminding me ) so can anyone find anything out about them for me ??
I must have misunderstood this post - I thought you wanted to find out about James and Elizabeth's children? But anyway, we needed to find their children on the censuses in case one of them had a parent or other relative with them!

Also I was hoping we could find James and Elizabeth's burials to see how old they were when they died but I couldn't see any likely burials at Bilston on that Wolverhampton history site. So since we haven't found their marriage either, I can't think of anything else that might help. Hopefully the post-1754 Bilston marriages are going to be added to that site some time?

Old 06-09-11, 12:48
Administrator

Oh, I just remembered something - James and Hannah Johnson have a Hannah Hill age 12 with them in 1841 - do you know how she fits in, Babs?

Old 06-09-11, 13:08
borobabs

No I dont Kate I have ften wondered but couldnt find a Hill marriage for any of the daughters
Old 06-09-11, 13:10
borobabs

Also I was hoping we could find James and Elizabeth's burials to see how old they were when they died but I couldn't see any likely burials at Bilston on that Wolverhampton history site. So since we haven't found their marriage either, I can't think of anything else that might help. Hopefully the post-1754 Bilston marriages are going to be added to that site some time?[/QUOTE]

Yes I hope they do I was even looking through a Staffordshire site last night to buy the records but couldnt find Bilston ones and didnt know which area it came under and there isnt a West Brom listed either ;;
Old 06-09-11, 13:16
Administrator

Just had some more thoughts - you could get Esther's marriage certificate to see where she was living and who the witnesses are, and whether it says "deceased" for her father.

Also looked on the apprenticeship records on ancestry and it has 16 Sep 1772 Jas Johnson, baker, apprentice Richard Johnson. Might be connected somehow?

Old 06-09-11, 15:48
borobabs

Have we got the GRO nuber for there marriage Kate ,,sorry think I should leave this for today just to tired to cenctrate properly , Im sorry ,,will re read tomorrow and try to make some sence of it all ;;
Old 06-09-11, 18:14
Administrator

It's Apr-Jun 1838 West Bromwich vol 18 p 657, Thomas Hopkins / Esther Johnson.

Tags
to3g32