Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 04-05-12, 15:28
Administrator

Default Abigail Bangay

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Abigail Bangay
Date and place of birth About 1778 Norwich, Norfolk
Names of parents Richard Bangay and Hannah nee Wade
Date and place of baptism - if applicable 2 Apr 1778 St Edmund, Norwich, Norfolk
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 2 Jun 1800 Heigham, Norwich, Norfolk, to William Seaman at St Bartholomew's church, by banns, both of this parish, both single, witnesses Richard Bangey and Lewis Owen.
Occupation(s) - if any Yarn Filler
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1800 - Heigham, Norwich, Norfolk
1801 - removed from St Paul, Norwich, to Hockering, Norfolk
1805 - St Paul, Norwich
1813 - 1837 - St Giles, Norwich
1841 - 1851 Wellington Street, St Giles, Norwich
1859 - Norwich Workhouse

Date, place and cause of death 24 Oct 1859 Norwich Workhouse (first death in new workhouse), cause of death diarrhoea.
Date and place of burial. 26 Oct 1859 Norwich Cemetery, sec 9 no 289, paid for by Guardians.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable None
Memorial inscription - if any Almost certainly none since her burial was paid for by the Poor Law Guardians.

Link to son's thread:
William Seaman jr
Link to husband's thread:
William Seaman sr

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-05-12, 16:18

Gawd, it looks like our mutual ancestors were Thomas & Grace, mid 1600s in Letheringsett (where my granny lived a couple of centuries later). Not quite sure how distant that relationship is!
Old 04-05-12, 16:46
Administrator

Sounds like a lot of generations! I haven't got my Bangays back that far yet, needless to say. In fact, I haven't got back any further than Abigail's father Richard. He and Hannah got married at St Edmund's in Norwich on Christmas Day 1776, and he was a widower. I've got an approximate year of birth of 1730 for him but I think that is just going by what everyone has on their ancestry trees! If those are right, then his father is Robert born 1700 in Norwich, Robert's father is Thomas born 1657 Letheringsett, but they have Thomas's wife down as Elizabeth Cobb. Then a couple of the trees have Thomas's parents as Thomas and Grace but they show them as born 1650, so something's wrong somewhere!

Richard "made his mark" on the marriage to Hannah but it is a circle rather than a cross, so I shall see if I can find the marriage to Elizabeth Breeze 14 Sep 1755 Norwich which those ancestry trees show as his first marriage, and see if he made a circle mark on that as well. I don't think any of them say what church, though, so it might take a while...

Old 04-05-12, 16:57
Administrator

Found that marriage and it is St Martin at Oak - image number 9 of the St Martin at Oak marriages 1754-1767 on FamilySearch. He did make his mark but it's more of a cross than a circle, unless he did a circle and then a cross over it? Anyone want to have a look and see what they think, please?

Maybe I can find him being a witness at a sibling's wedding and see if he did a circle mark on that (edit - but none of those public trees show him having any siblings, so I'll have to find them first!)
Attached Images
File Type: png richard bangay mark.PNG (15.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by kiterunner; 04-05-12 at 17:08. Reason: add screenshot of mark from St Martin at Oak wedding
Old 04-05-12, 17:22
Administrator

Okay, there is a Richard Bangay, widower and pauper, buried at St Martin at Oak 19 May 1788 age 59. My Richard and Hannah had a daughter Bridget supposedly born Aug 1785 but not baptised until 1840, with a note reading, "this person's baptism appears to have been neglected in infancy". So if the Richard buried in 1788 is my Richard, there should be a burial for Hannah between 1785 and 1788 but I haven't found it yet. It would explain why Bridget's baptism was neglected, if Hannah died soon after Bridget's birth, though.

Old 04-05-12, 17:55

Probably the best researched tree is Steven's. I don't quite know the link from Norwich back to Letheringsett, but his father trawled through just about every available source, and I checked everything on my line (which stayed comfortably close to Letheringsett).
Old 08-09-13, 22:05

Trawling for my Bangays, I found this: http://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/norwich...ich/ncwsw2.htm

Do you think the Richard, worstead weaver could be your Richard?
Old 08-09-13, 22:28
Administrator

Ooh, could well be. Thanks, Phoenix.

Old 13-09-13, 11:19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Okay, there is a Richard Bangay, widower and pauper, buried at St Martin at Oak 19 May 1788 age 59. My Richard and Hannah had a daughter Bridget supposedly born Aug 1785 but not baptised until 1840, with a note reading, "this person's baptism appears to have been neglected in infancy". So if the Richard buried in 1788 is my Richard, there should be a burial for Hannah between 1785 and 1788 but I haven't found it yet. It would explain why Bridget's baptism was neglected, if Hannah died soon after Bridget's birth, though.
Aha! FreeREG now has a baptism for Bridget Bangay, daughter of Richard Bangay and Hannah Wade, born 10 Jul 1786, baptised 16 Jul 1786 at St Edmund, Norwich, but the baptism was written on the burials page by mistake. So it looks as though Bridget needed a baptism certificate in 1840 and the parish clerk / vicar at St Edmund's couldn't find the record of her baptism as it was in with the burials, so they thought she had never been baptised and she was baptised again.

Old 19-09-13, 13:41
Administrator

Hmm, this has upset the applecart / put the cat among the pigeons / other cliches. A baptism for an Abigal Bangay, daughter of Richard and Hannah, 29 Apr 1770 at St Augustine's, Norwich. I don't think it could be my Abigail as mine got married for the first time in 1800 and her age was given as 84 when she died in 1859, but I had Richard and Hannah getting married in 1776! Though Hannah would be 31 when she got married, and so she could well have had a baby in 1770 before the marriage. But it could also be that I have the wrong marriage for my Abigail's parents.

Tags
to4g40