Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Family History Photographs > Decades of Family History Photographs

Old 09-04-11, 16:59

9th April 1908

Postcard of Bishop's Waltham High Street, postmarked Hassocks, Sussex 9 Apr 1908, to Mrs Crisp, West Wittering, Nr Chichester, Sussex from her daughter Elsie. Mrs Crisp was my great grandmother and my great aunt Elsie was in service.

"I am sorry I cannot write. We are busy house cleaning. And Mrs J ill in bed. the Doctor come very day. I was please with flowers. With love to all. Kiss to D.J.B. With ever love from D. Elsie Goodnight"

Last edited by Jill; 09-04-11 at 17:00. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-11, 12:44

Postmark Redhill, Surrey 10 Apr 1909 addressed to Mrs Bennett, 9 Sunnyside, Edenbridge, Kent.

"Dear Mother, just a line hoping you are better as it leaves Lilly very bad I have had to have another doctor to-day he say she is very ill so we shall not be able to come this time, we all send our love to you all your loving Daughter Rose."

(Rose was Rose Bennett nee Haisleden, Lilly was registered at birth as Lavinia. Rose was the daughter in law of Mary Bennett nee Sandford).
Old 10-04-11, 13:50

Postcard from Winifred Dunn postmarked Carshalton 10 Apr 1908 to Miss A Bennett, Woodside, Woodcote Avenue, Wallington.

"Hackbridge. Dear Annie Will you tell Mrs Pain that dad thinks the flowers will get broken about so if we sends them C.P. So he has decided that he will bring them up himself on Saturday afternoon. I got the place at Beddington without any trouble and am starting in the morning. Hope you got on allright with the moving yesterday. Will leave all news till I see you WD"

Annie was my great uncle's wife. She and Winifred were domestic servants together, Mrs Pain was Annie's employer.
Old 20-04-11, 08:41

Another of my great aunt's postcards postmarked today, this one to her employer Mrs van Bruyn (misspelled as Bryan) at Pootings, Edenbridge, Surrey from a local tradesman

"Mr Gooding regrets he has no chests of drawers on hand just at present but may have shortly."
Old 21-04-11, 08:04

Postcard of the Serpentine. Postmark Rougham, Suffolk 12 Apr 1909 to Miss Ingerfield, Kingston Hill House, Kingston, Surrey

"Dear W I have not got time to write a letter I thought you would like a PC for a change I will write soon hope you have a happy easter with love Blossom."

(Winifred Ingerfield married Charles Alfred Bennett in 1920)
Old 08-05-11, 15:01

Both postmarked 8th May 1909

Post card of Sompting Stores from R Moger sent to his/her employer Madam E de Marion Hoare, Dunton, Bucks Green, Rudgwick, Sussex.
" Dear Mistress Just a few lines to wish you many happy returns for your Birthday & many years of them I hope you are quite well & also the Dear Master This is showing you the shop we get our grocery from I remain Madam Repectfully your R Moger"

and a postcard from my great uncle Lawrence Crisp in West Wittering to his fiancee Annie Bennett

to Miss Bennett, Dunton, Bucks Green, Rudgwick, Sussex

"You will be glad hear I got home safely I have been busy all day on the bathing hut I have to get it done by Whitsun I will write in a day or two hope you are keeping well LC"
Old 18-05-11, 07:46

Default 18th May 1909

Postmark Horsham 18 May 1909
To: Miss A Bennett, Dunton, Bucks Green, Rudgwick, Sussex

"Dear Annie sorry I cannot write a letter this time was pleased to receive yours I am pleased you like your place & trusting you are keeping well your gran and grandfather sends their love I will write soon from your affectionate aunt RF"

RF was Annie's aunt Rose Francis nee Stanford. Annie was in service and had left a job in Hassocks and taken this postiion near her aunt and grandparents.
Old 30-05-11, 10:05

Postmark Edenbridge. To Miss Bennett c/o Mrs Cleveland, 138 Eardley Road, Streatham SW

"Dear Daughter just a few lines to you today I have not hear from Mable will write as soon as I hear hoping you will soon get a place I have been away from home but will write again love to Ernest & Mable"

Annie Bennett was between jobs and visiting friends. ("Mable" was her sister, Ernest was Mabel's husband)
Old 08-09-11, 12:05

Default 8 September 1903

Sarah Barks and Joseph Reckless are the bride and groom. They were married on 8 September 1903 at St Giles, Balderton, Nottinghamshire

Sarah was the sister of my great grandfather George Barks although he and his wife Jane don't appear to be on the photograph. Jane was pregnant at the time so perhaps couldn't travel from Burton on Trent where George and his family now lived. Seated next to the bride are her parents George Barks 1837-1905 and Mary nee Pratt 1841-1918.

Any Barks or Reckless descendants out there who recognise anyone else please contact me.

Old 01-09-12, 10:16
Administrator

This is Sidcot school in Somerset which is a Quaker establishment. My grandfather and his siblings and many distant cousins attended as students and my great-grandfather was a schoolmaster there.

In 1908, when the picture was taken, my great aunt would have been a pupil, but I don't think she is in this picture, or if she is, not at the front!

I can't think what they were doing was at all energetic!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010