Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-08-14, 12:31

Interesting programme from a research point of view and I thought Tamzin came across as a very nice person....BUT.....

I got very cross over her attitude to internment (and I do find it hard to believe she didn't know that Italy was at war with us in 1940 - was that a bit of "dramatic effect?). She seemed to imply it was wrong to imprison people who were nationals of the countries we were at war with. What on earth did she expect? We were in very real danger of being invaded at that time so couldn't take any risks.It happened to German and Austrian refugees from the Nazis too until they were able and willing to prove their loyalty to Britain. I just felt the whole section about internment in a "concentration camp" was another example of looking at the past and judging it by today's mores and standards. OK, I know it WAS, strictly speaking, a concentration camp but the term has come to signify something very different in relation to WW2 and I think it was deliberately used for emotive effect here. At least the inmates were given the chance to get out ... which is more than can be said for most of those in the other side's camps.