Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 29-02-16, 06:44

thanks Merry.
Old 04-03-16, 20:40

I'm just baffled by this register.

I would like to find my father (1917-1993), but it seems I can't do that without an address. I contacted FMPand they advised mento raise an FOI request with TNA. I did this in November and TNA cane back to be very quickly asking for the address. I explained that I did not have the address, and why, and have heard no more.

I found this extremely stressful and I would imagine now that I will never find out where my father was living in the late thirties.

I have gained no useful information at all from this over-hyped exercise. I've just looked for my aunt (1901-1978) and my uncle (1906-1968) and they aren't coming up either.
Old 04-03-16, 22:15
Administrator

If you post up the names and dobs you're looking for then we could have a try, AN?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-03-16, 11:03
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anstey Nomad View Post
I'm just baffled by this register.

I would like to find my father (1917-1993), but it seems I can't do that without an address.
I am very confused. I couldn't remember your father's name, so I looked to see what threads you had up in the Take One Grandparents etc boards. I found a thread about Fanny Elizabeth Billyard which names her children, one of whom I presumed to be one of your parents. As they were all male and only one of them had the terminal years mentioned here I assumed that was your father. I used his death reg to pick up his dob and searched the 1939 register in Leicestershire for every male with that dob as I imagined he might have completely the wrong name transcribed as my family in Herts did. I thought if I looked at all the images I might find him.

Anyway, when I got the results there were only three matches, but the first one seemed to be the person I was looking for and with the right name, so ..... as I said, I'm confused! *goes for a lie down*

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-03-16, 11:16
Administrator

Perhaps they have gone through opening more records for people who have died since 1991 (or whenever the cut of was) in the last few days?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-03-16, 11:50

I apologise for my grumpy post last night. Gin had been taken.

They must have made some changes because Dad is there now.

That's brilliant. Thank you.

I'm not bothered about the others as I know where they were, but my Dad left home when he was fifteen and I've never known where he was between 1933 and Autumn 1939 when he was called up.

Thanks again.
Old 05-03-16, 12:03
Administrator

I didn't think you sounded grumpy!

Glad that's him, anyway!

Old 05-03-16, 13:23

I'm ecstatic. Everything in my family is a mystery. I thought I knew a lot, but it turns out that everything my mother told me is not correct, so any snippet of truth helps.

Thanks again
Old 08-03-16, 18:03

My question:

I do know that the 1939 was updated till 1991 which would explain the presence of as-yet-unborn children on the 1939 register. (redacted).

How did "they" know how much room to leave on the page for those yet to be born?Or is the version we see a transcribed one?

OC
Old 08-03-16, 19:07
Administrator

They didn't use the pages which had the children added to them for the online version, OC. I think there was a whole page for each household where they did that, but FMP have just got the version where the people who were on the initial list were copied onto street listings, similar to how the censuses had forms for each household and were then copied onto street listings.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update