Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-21, 21:13

Default Janaway - using DNA to go around the problem

In the past, I have tried to find more information about the parents of Olivia Melvina Newbury Jannaway, born in 1851 in Kingstown, St Vincent, West Indies, daughter of James and Sophia JANUARY. Her father is a Private in the 1st Batallion 14th Regiment of Foot.

Her Scottish death certificate in 1882 gives her father as James Jannaway (decd) Barracks Sergt and Sophia Ann (Abbott).

I have never been able to find anything else about her parents.

However, I recently made a contact with someone with JANAWAY in their tree, and AncestryDNA says we are 4th-6th cousins.

In their tree, they have Joseph Janaway, married to Mary Spencer in Lyndhurst, Hampshire. They had a number of children in the 1820s (no James though).

Also in Lyndhurst, there was a christening of James Janaway, son of Elizabeth, christened in December 1824.

There is then a marriage of Elizabeth Janaway to Joseph Dible in 1825, in Lyndhurst. It looks like Elizabeth died in 1863.

I cannot see any Janaway/Janaway link to Elizabeth on the 1841/51/61 censuses.

This thread from 2014 shows some of the work done before when trying to find out some more about Olivia.

Thank you for looking.