Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 23-05-21, 23:58

Default United States Census Question

Hello!

Are there any resources out there that can help me learn some background and history about the US census, and the different formats and conventions they use across time and in different places?

I've found that the US Census records are a great help in identifying/confirming that I am looking at the correct people. But there are varying formats, and sometimes the way that the information that is presented can be misleading.

For example, I rejected a census record for my grandfather because the census taker put his (my grandfather's) initials between his first and last name. So, I mistakenly thought the person I was looking at had two middle initials, and that he was not my grandfather.

After additional examination and cross referencing, I was able to confirm that the census record was indeed for my grandfather. I still to this day have no idea why the census takers do that with initials, but I've seen it other records, as well.

Any help shedding light on this mystery and others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 24-05-21, 09:49
Administrator

This site has the census enumerator instructions for each year, if that's any help:
https://www.census.gov/history/www/t...tructions.html

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 24-05-21, 10:38

Thanks. This is very interesting. The 'initials' thing still remains a mystery, unfortunately.
Old 01-06-21, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickedemus View Post
Hello!

Are there any resources out there that can help me learn some background and history about the US census, and the different formats and conventions they use across time and in different places?

I've found that the US Census records are a great help in identifying/confirming that I am looking at the correct people. But there are varying formats, and sometimes the way that the information that is presented can be misleading.

For example, I rejected a census record for my grandfather because the census taker put his (my grandfather's) initials between his first and last name. So, I mistakenly thought the person I was looking at had two middle initials, and that he was not my grandfather.

After additional examination and cross referencing, I was able to confirm that the census record was indeed for my grandfather. I still to this day have no idea why the census takers do that with initials, but I've seen it other records, as well.

Any help shedding light on this mystery and others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sometimes it's just a mistake. I've found errors on certificates, censuses and gravestones. The fact that it's written or carved doesn't mean it's accurate.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire