Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 08-11-15, 07:42
Administrator

This post is purely to summarise the previous posts and where I've now got to in the search for my grandparents, before I potentially waste my money on the wrong 1939 register page.

By using the address search I have found their property listed three times. Two of the entries have only untranscribed individuals and closed individuals and the third version has the Redshaw family (my grandparents surname was Clark).

The Redshaw family have my grandparents dobs and my grandfather's occupation. One of them has my mother's dob even though she is still living.

I have collected data on the 44 people listed on the page using the piece, item and individuals numbers and sorted them into the order they apparently appear on the 1939 page. There are seven closed records. For 22 of the remaining 37 records I have obtained their dob from a death record or a Q and year from their birth registration. So far no one has the right year/date recorded in the transcription. Many of the individuals from this page appear twice on the register and (so far - I'm still looking at this!) on the 'other' occurrence they have a year of birth recorded that appears correct when compared with my research. Most of the households on the page I'm researching seem to be headed up by individuals who are part way through a household - eg Mr and Mrs Redshaw apparently have their eldest three children living with them but their fourth child (aged 5) is the head of the next household (and he's the one with my grandfather's dob). There are 18 individuals on the page with 'unpaid domestic duties' as their occupation, several look unlikely - men, children and babies included.

Having read that transcribers did their work in columns to protect the information of potentially living people, I expected to find, once I'd put my data together, it might become obvious how all these mistakes had occurred - for instance if a transcriber had listed some information twice or missed a line then the horizontal data might not line up, but I can't see anything like that here. And whilst I've found my grandparents dobs hidden under Redshaw, why don't their names appear anywhere, even with incorrect dates? Are they hiding in the other two households for their home where names have been transcribed as ---- ---- ? Will I have to purchase three households to find them? I've never been a successful gambler! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-11-15, 07:59

I don't think I could resist purchasing it just to see what's going on!

My OH's grandfather appears twice - once with his own dob and once with his wife's. Her name is missing.
Old 08-11-15, 08:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
If I could be more sure which of the three same house addresses might be the right page I would be happier, but if I purchase the Redshaw household and its not the one I shall feel forced to pay for the other two and I really don't want to be put I that position, particularly as I don't need the info!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-11-15, 08:50
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post

My OH's grandfather appears twice - once with his own dob and once with his wife's. Her name is missing.
Am I right in thinking that's what would happen with 'slippage' due to different transcribers seeing only some columns and not one complete row?
Old 08-11-15, 09:37

Possibly, though is seems more likely the transcriber typed the same name twice by mistake.

Must admit, I haven't actually paid to look at any records yet. Both sets of grandparents were living in the same houses they were living in when I was born and I don't have any mysteries to explore. No doubt I'll succumb eventually though.
Old 08-11-15, 15:18
Administrator

If I search piece 1616A with a given item number all the results have the item number minus one, except for the people transcribed as ---- ---- ----. Those blank people have the correct item number.

When fmp were giving you the piece and item numbers at the bottom of the household results screen (and at that point Id not looked at the urls for the pages) I'm 100% sure the named people had the correct item number, but I'm less sure about the blank people as I was aware they didn't fit in to the household names I had and think they probably fitted in with the households on the following item number (as they still do0, just that everything has moved along one!!

OH is starting to say he will pay for what ever it takes to shut me up, so I may be getting some pages soon!!

Old 08-11-15, 15:20
Administrator

Make sure not to "unlock" two households which are on the same page, though, Merry, because apparently you get charged twice to view the same image if you do that.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-11-15, 15:22
Administrator

Very good point Kate! Thanks.

Old 08-11-15, 15:26
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry View Post

oh is starting to say he will pay for what ever it takes to shut me up, so i may be getting some pages soon!!

Keep talking...
Old 08-11-15, 15:40
Administrator

lol Maggie - no problem there!!