Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 12-05-13, 00:56

That must make for interesting conversation over the dinner table Glen.

My 4g grandfather/mother and my 5g grandfather/mother are same people, my 3g grandfather married his niece. A generation or so later, and not my direct line, also had a similar marriage.
Old 12-05-13, 01:22

It was a bit wierd that's for sure, she contacted me through a long forgotten trying to find post, we worked out that we were half sibs and that we probably passed each other in the street as we lived in the same area and were similiar ages. Then she sent a few pics asking if I recognised her......as I looked at them she looked familiar but were when she was still at school, then one of them was a pic of the two of us together, no point trying to hide who I was but it was a bit of a shock for the pair of us.
My coal is spent, my iron's gone
My nails are drove, my work is done
Lord receive my soul
Old 12-05-13, 06:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
That must make for interesting conversation over the dinner table Glen.

My 4g grandfather/mother and my 5g grandfather/mother are same people, my 3g grandfather married his niece. A generation or so later, and not my direct line, also had a similar marriage.

My trees has been pruned a bit too -

My 6xg grandparents are also my 5xg grandparents. Thier oldest daughter married one man and the youngest daughter (18yrs younger) married another.

One great-great grandchild married a one great-grandchild. Second cousins once removed, but born within a month of each other !

Wow, Glen - that's a bit scary, but also a bit of a shock to both of you.

Di
Old 12-05-13, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Shall we send a briefing note to Radio 4's More of Less programme to put them right?
I would love to know what proper statisticians came up with. I used to read the population studies papers: age at marriage, family size etc which were fascinating, but did indicate how very grey the stats get pre decent recording.

Even if all the premises were solid, I do find the 25 year generation decidedly suspect. The actual nobility and royalty may well have been taking teenage brides, but ordinary people wouldn't be marrying until they could afford to. With one of my ancestors having children in his seventies, that really skews the figures.
Old 12-05-13, 12:08

Phoenix

It's a bit like that "average life expectancy" thing that made 40 the age at which you died, pre NHS.

It was probably the biggest surprise overall in my research to discover that many/most of my rural ancestors lived well into their 70s,80s and 90s. If they survived childbirth and accidents, they mostly lived as long as we do today.

OC
Old 12-05-13, 12:16

I always liked the "facts" that average life expectancy in Roman times was 24, while average age at marriage was 28. Which of course could both be true.
Old 12-05-13, 18:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I always liked the "facts" that average life expectancy in Roman times was 24, while average age at marriage was 28. Which of course could both be true.
But surely that could be true (I'm definitely not saying it is! lol)?

Grossly simplifying the numbers.......If half the population died at birth and the other half lived to be 48 then the average age at death would be 24. But if all those who lived until 48 married at 28 then the average age of marriage would be 28.

*runs out quickly*

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-05-13, 18:28

Merry

Yes, that's what Phoenix said......both statements can be statistically true.

OC
Old 12-05-13, 18:31
Administrator

lol That's funny I read n't in the middle of her last sentence!! I even thought "I'm surprised Phoenix made that mistake" when it was me all the time!!!

*slopes away again*

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-05-13, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
A pretty silly assumption! I read an article debunking this kind of thing recently, I wonder whether I can find it...
I certainly wouldn't be able to find it now, but I remember reading an article which mentioned that almost every line of Prince Charles's ancestry had been traced back 20 generations or so, and compared the theoretical number of ancestors at that point (assuming doubling every generation) with the actual number of distinct individuals. I can't remember the exact numbers, but the number of different ancestors at that generation was MUCH smaller - I think only something like 1/20 of the number with no intermarrying. If we estimate that over the course of 500 years, intermarriages reduce the total number of descendants by a factor of 20 or so, the radio statistician's estimate of 1,000,000 becomes a more believable 50,000.

To illustrate OC's point, there's a certain fairly well known individual who lived a century or so after Richard III and has no living descendants. He had three children and four grandchildren, but only one of the grandchildren lived long enough to marry, and she bore no children so his bloodline ended with her death, only 54 years after his own.