Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 30-05-21, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Ethel Sharratt marriage to Neilson Apr-Jun 1953 Chester
Edith Mary Sharratt had a younger sister Ethel, born 7 May 1908, Hoylake, Wirral.

I was always of the imression it was her who married John Neilson and moved to Scotland?
At the time though I wasn't aware of the Ethel born in 1930.

I actually have a (verified) photo of the wedding of Ethel & John, although I must admit that I have entered the following note against the marriage entry in my tree:
Research Note: This marriage to be confirmed as it would make her 45 at the time, which is probably older than she looks on her wedding photograph.

This now leaves me with nothing but a birth 7 May 1908 and baptism 30 Jul 1908 for Ethel (my aunt), who was always elusive and difficult to research.
Old 30-05-21, 19:56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
Edith Mary Sharratt had a younger sister Ethel, born 7 May 1908, Hoylake, Wirral.

I was always of the imression it was her who married John Neilson and moved to Scotland?
At the time though I wasn't aware of the Ethel born in 1930.

I actually have a (verified) photo of the wedding of Ethel & John, although I must admit that I have entered the following note against the marriage entry in my tree:
Research Note: This marriage to be confirmed as it would make her 45 at the time, which is probably older than she looks on her wedding photograph.

This now leaves me with nothing but a birth 7 May 1908 and baptism 30 Jul 1908 for Ethel (my aunt), who was always elusive and difficult to research.
Ethel Neilson died in 2018 age 88 so must be the one born 1930.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-05-21, 22:47
Administrator

There is an Ethel Sharatt death Apr-Jun 1969 Spilsby district (Lincolnshire), dob 7 May 1908. I will see if I can find her on the 1939 Register.

Old 30-05-21, 22:56
Administrator

No luck with the 1939 Register, I'm afraid.

Old 30-05-21, 23:10
Administrator

Oh, there is an Ethel Jones death index entry matching the Ethel Sharatt one, so maybe she was known as Mrs Jones but not married to Mr Jones?

There is a family on the 1939 Register in Skegness (which was in Spilsby registration district):
William J Jones 29 Mar 1900 Lorry Driver
Ethel Jones 7 May 1908 Unpaid Household Duties
a little girl - name later changed to Collingwood - the fact that the record is open should mean she is deceased but I haven't managed to find a death record and I know some have been wrongly opened so I won't put full details
and a closed record.

Of course it's easy to go wrong with a name like Jones so I could be on the wrong track! Does Skegness ring any bells with you?

Old 30-05-21, 23:46
Administrator

lol An hour behind you Kate, but I found the same entries!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-05-21, 00:01
Administrator

The entry that's blanked out in 1939 is probably a birth from Q4 1938, Spilsby district.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-05-21, 07:59
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Oh, there is an Ethel Jones death index entry matching the Ethel Sharatt one, so maybe she was known as Mrs Jones but not married to Mr Jones?

There is a family on the 1939 Register in Skegness (which was in Spilsby registration district):
William J Jones 29 Mar 1900 Lorry Driver
Ethel Jones 7 May 1908 Unpaid Household Duties
a little girl - name later changed to Collingwood - the fact that the record is open should mean she is deceased but I haven't managed to find a death record and I know some have been wrongly opened so I won't put full details
and a closed record.

Of course it's easy to go wrong with a name like Jones so I could be on the wrong track! Does Skegness ring any bells with you?
There is birth registration for a child under the name Sharratt maiden surname of mother Sharratt in Southwark for Jan 1937, could possibly be the same one.
Old 31-05-21, 13:08

Quote:
Ethel Neilson / Sharratt death 2018 Bellshill, Scotland, age 88, MMN Sharratt (on Scotland's People).
Great find and definitely the right person. I've not used Scotland's People before but have now registered. I notice that, unlike the GRO, they don't give a quarter date. I'm wondering if anything can be gleaned from the Reference 566/ 393 alongside the name with regard to date?
Old 31-05-21, 14:18
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
Great find and definitely the right person. I've not used Scotland's People before but have now registered. I notice that, unlike the GRO, they don't give a quarter date. I'm wondering if anything can be gleaned from the Reference 566/ 393 alongside the name with regard to date?
Its the registration district number:

Bellshill (formerly Bothwell)Lanark 19722006 Old RD 566 Today's RD566

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/resear...tion-districts

The other numbers maybe number in register.