Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 29-05-21, 18:34

Default Thomas Connolly & Edith Sharratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
Message to self: Don't assume anything!
Mindful of my previous advice to myself:
I have come up with a couple of interesting points regarding the marriage of Thomas (Patrick) Connolly & Edith Mary Sharratt, Jan 1931.
  • A possible child born the year before their marriage
  • A prison sentence for Thomas a month after their marriage
I've started a new thread with the details and will hopefully get some feedback/comments on my thoughts before I go off on a tangent!

Last edited by JohnS; 30-05-21 at 19:49.
Old 29-05-21, 19:37
Administrator

Please don't give the name of the possible child though, unless you know for sure that s/he is dead.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-05-21, 09:12
Administrator

With regard to the child, if it's the one registered in the mother's surname, then, yes, it could be Edith's, but there are quite a few other unmarried Sh?r?tt women in the area and sometimes an illegitimate child would be born away from where the woman lived so that means a load more ladies who might have come in to Cheshire for the birth and then moved on again.

Thomas and Gladys appear to have two children with them in 1939 and they may well be the son of Thomas and Edith and the one child they seem to have had together. I have looked at two other Sh?rr?tt women married soon after 1930 in Wirrel district and both of those have the correct number of children living with them in 1939 to reflect the number born in their marriages.

Of course sometimes an illegitimate child (or any child!) ends up living in a different part of the family, so the truth may be different again. Only to add that the 1930 child doesn't appear with the maternal grandmother in 1939, which could have been a possibility.

I think you may be stuck with getting the birth cert if you want to find out more about that child!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 30-05-21, 09:20
Administrator

Oh, I wish you had said it was the crime that led you to believe that child belonged to Thomas and Edith!! If only I'd looked for the crime first! lol

So, Thomas already had a child by Feb 1931? Yes, it could be the one you were looking at. I wonder which child is missing in 1939?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 30-05-21, 09:58
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Oh, I wish you had said it was the crime that led you to believe that child belonged to Thomas and Edith!! If only I'd looked for the crime first! lol

So, Thomas already had a child by Feb 1931? Yes, it could be the one you were looking at. I wonder which child is missing in 1939?
Crime?
Old 30-05-21, 09:58
Administrator

The newspaper article about TPC's crime mentioned he had been disowned by his father. However, Thomas senr may not have been perfect either! I don't have time to go back and post all the links right now, but here:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/...nolly%20wirral

he seems to be the co-respondent in a divorce case in 1942.

Back in 1939 Thomas senr was living with his wife, Mary Chapman b 1883. George Williams and his wife were together (she was born 1897). Her surname wasn't written, as it was the same as her husband's, but a different hand has squeezed the name Connolly into the space which confused me for a minute! It turns out Mary A Williams (also Drummond) married Thomas Connolly in 1943. There's a likely death for the first Mrs Connolly in Q4 1941.

Old 30-05-21, 10:00
Administrator

Yes, Maggie, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
[*]A prison sentence for Thomas a month after their marriage
was where he tried to defraud someone out of £3 by giving them a sob story about his circumstances which were untrue and he was found out.

Old 30-05-21, 17:09
Administrator

Since this all fits together, we can post the name of the 1930 birth since I have found a death (sure hope I was looking at the same birth you were!)

Ethel Sharratt birth registered Jan-Mar 1930 Wirral, MMN Sharratt (no MMN shown on GRO site)
Ethel Sharratt marriage to Neilson Apr-Jun 1953 Chester
Ethel Neilson / Sharratt death 2018 Bellshill, Scotland, age 88, MMN Sharratt (on Scotland's People).

Will just check back on Ancestry because there was also a death / burial record on there... edit: never mind, that was a different year!

Old 30-05-21, 17:18
Administrator

Since she died in Scotland, I don't think her 1939 Register record will have been opened.

Old 30-05-21, 18:40
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Yes, Maggie, this:

was where he tried to defraud someone out of £3 by giving them a sob story about his circumstances which were untrue and he was found out.
I think I saw a couple for Thomas the father. I found that birth of the other child in Kite's post yesterday but I didn't look any further.