Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 16-08-13, 18:37

Some comments about British Home Children from 19th-century Canadian politicians.

'There are associations formed in England, Scotland and Ireland for bringing out to Canada what are called gutter children from the slums of England, Scotland and Ireland. Thousands are brought out by these organisations. I think this is scandalous and outrageous. It is ridiculous to allow this to go on. These people might as well send out small pox and typhoid fever. These are not only savages, but they are really all diseased savages.'

'These are children dumped on Canadian soil, who, in my opinion, should not be allowed to come here at all. It is just the same as if garbage were thrown into your backyard and allowed to remain there.'

As the episode dealt with adoption, fostering and child transportation, a few hints and tips about how to research these issues would have been helpful.
Old 16-08-13, 22:03

Shona

With public attitudes like that, no wonder so many of the children were mistreated. The only thing which can be said in defence of the Canadian authorities is that the British authorities had exactly the same attitude and carelessness of the outcome.

I live in Cornwall and the last children to be sent from here to be "resettled" in Australia were sent in 1974.

OC

EDIT - I'm sure most of you on here already know these two books but if you don't, read them and weep.

Lost Children of the Empire
Empty Cradles.

Both were made into documentaries which triggered the (eventual) official apology from the British Government, which acknowledged the great harm this scheme had done.

Last edited by Olde Crone; 16-08-13 at 23:29. Reason: Info
Old 17-08-13, 17:28

Shona, even allowing for a difference in attitude between then and now, that is shocking.