Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 04-07-13, 09:20

Looks as if the Liddell family were Scottish. John and Mary were in Auchenleck in Ayrshire in 1881 and 1891. John and the children were in Dalton in Furness in 1901 - his status was married. Ditto 1911 - all children born in Auchenleck. John died in 1932 (at Bleak House) - probate to one of his sons who was a poultry farmer.
Old 05-07-13, 23:18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Of course this story was sad and I was supposed to be welling up at the injustice of "the system", but couldn't manage it because of BTB's husband!!! I don't know if I missed any part, but I only saw a man as disinterested as a person could possibly be whilst BTB desperately tried to get him to show some emotion!! He looked like someone who had been told he had to stay awake an hour after taking his sleeping tablets!
I expect most of his "reaction shots" were filmed afterwards and just edited in at suitable points, and maybe he just isn't very good at acting. Also from what I've read in various articles about Barbara Taylor Bradford's part of the programme, she already knew years ago about her mother being illegitimate and about the half-siblings who went to Australia, so it wouldn't have been a shocking revelation to her husband.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-07-13, 23:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Like Merry, I was a tad dubious about the spin put on the story of Mary Liddell. How do we know she had an affair and was sent to the workhouse by her husband, John? The couple may have parted.

The 1901 census lists Mary as a dressmaker. Perhaps she was boarding there rather than being employed as a servant.

When she got pregnant again (with Claude), she went to the workhouse for the birth. The changing of W to M on the census, I feel, had little to do with it.
Yes, I thought the same, now I have managed to watch episode 2. Loved Felicity Kendal thinking it was "amazing" that Albert got the two standard WW1 medals, and "amazing" that he put John Liddell down as his father on his marriage certificate - pretty usual for someone who was illegitimate to put down some name or other for father's name, going by the number of certs I've seen where it has been done.

And them coming up with the story of him being reconciled with his Liddell relatives when he "came home from the war with his medals" (as I understand it, the medals were issued a few years after the end of the war?) And the way they explained him joining the army in 1915 as being because he couldn't easily get a job having been in the workhouse - lots of men from all walks of life joined the army in 1915. Anyway, he could have got to know his Liddell relatives at any time of his life really for all they know. But I'm glad they found his will to show that he did know the Liddells, otherwise they might have made up a whole story of how he never knew any of his half-siblings.

Old 06-07-13, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I've read in various articles about Barbara Taylor Bradford's part of the programme, she already knew years ago about her mother being illegitimate and about the half-siblings who went to Australia, so it wouldn't have been a shocking revelation to her husband.
Tsk - feel cheated by BTB's 'shocked' reaction on 'discovering' that her mum was illegitimate.
Old 06-07-13, 07:47

I did feel that they made rather a lot of assumptions, but then again I suppose we all do at times.
Old 06-07-13, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn the Forest Fan View Post
I did feel that they made rather a lot of assumptions, but then again I suppose we all do at times.
Makes for 'good' television though

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 06-07-13, 11:43
Administrator

Here is an article by BTB where she says that she found out her mother was illegitimate in 2004:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...workhouse.html

I can't find the ones that I read but I know that in one of them, she said that many years ago, when she was promoting one of her bestselling books she went on a book tour to Australia and because she knew that some of her mother's siblings had emigrated to Australia, she made a big thing of it in her interviews over there in the hope that they, or their children, would get in touch with her, and because she didn't hear from anyone, she took it that they weren't interested. But it does seem that she didn't know how they came to emigrate until the making of this tv series.