Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 10-01-11, 22:36

Done a bit more digging tonight.

There is a SUBMITTED entry of a marriage between John Garlick and Alice Whittaker on 22 August 1765 Prestwich. Their son Thomas Garlick or Whittaker is baptised on 8 September, how very odd when his parents are married.......

...no they aren't! the actual date of their marriage was 22 SEPTEMBER 1765. The IGI submitter obviously brought the marriage forward a month for respectability's sake, lol!

They had shedloads of children all called Garlick. What spitefully long memories the clergy had

OC
Old 10-01-11, 22:49
Administrator

lol!!

Where did you find the correct marriage date?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-01-11, 22:55
Administrator

Ah, found it - Lancs OPC.

Maybe the submitter looked at the banns register?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-01-11, 01:09
tenterfieldjulie

[QUOTE=Olde Crone;107141]I am wording a fiendishly cunning email to the local Registrar which will I hope allow me to find out if her mmn was Davenport, without me having to buy the cert, lol!

Have you been successful. Julie
Old 11-01-11, 06:18
Administrator

I guess you saw this, OC? (Lancs OPC)

Marriage: 20 Sep 1819 St Mary the Virgin, Prestwich, Lancashire, England
William Whittaker - of Hollinwood
Elizth Davenport - of Hollinwood
Witness: John Ward; Edw. Redford
Married by Banns by: J. G. Kirkbank
Register: Marriages 1819 - 1821, Page 13, Entry 38
Source: LDS Film 2356185

There's also a Wm Whittaker to Alice Davenport in the 1830s which confused me no end, as I had got mixed up with the forenames!

Old 11-01-11, 09:26

Yes, I had found the marriage thanks.

I fogot to say that John Garlick and Alice Whittaker had an Edward, so that pleased me!

I can find no marriage for Thomas, only a vague submitted one "about 1808" to Alice Bickerstaffe, but I haven't found a marriage to back that up. However, the submitter would hardly make up a name, surely, so maybe there's something in that. Can find no children other than William, which cannot be right. will have to wait for Thomas' Will.

OC
Old 11-01-11, 14:41
Administrator

I couldn't even find the children of John Garlick and Alice Whittaker, except for Thomas b before they married!

For children of Thomas and Alice Garlick/Whitaker I think I also only found William Garlick in 1799. I think they were probably already married by then or the vicar wouldn't have allowed them to use Thomas's prefered name of Garlick.

Old 11-01-11, 14:56
Administrator

Quote:
I can find no marriage for Thomas, only a vague submitted one "about 1808" to Alice Bickerstaffe
Trouble is, if he married as Garlick, then the marriage might be recognisable, but if he married as Whittaker then that will be tricky as there are children of a Thomas and Alice Whittaker being baptised both sides of the 1799 William Garlick baptism. I don't think it would be east to sort out!! (and one of those baps is too close in date to Wm Garlic's bap to be likely to be the same Thomas and Alice under their other surname.)

Old 11-01-11, 18:12

Children of John Garlick and Alice I found on the new LDS site.

(Which incidentally, is a big disappointment to me...the children's baps were divided between St Margaret Hollinwood and St Mary Oldham, so maybe more than one couple involved, but even so, definitely more than one SOURCE involved and I find it very difficult to work out what the source actually is - Baptisms for England and Wales is not a very helpful title for the source. Also, one of the entries - Joseph Garlick 3 Aug 1783 - appeared no less than five times. I thought the new site was supposed to have streamlined and cut out duplicate entries. If not, it will soon be as messy as the old IGI.)

I ASSUME (oh, hahaha) that William was born in wedlock, as he has taken his father's name of Whittaker Garlick, so an 1808 marrriage couldn't be right, or at least, Alice Bickerstaffe isn't his mother.

OC
Old 11-01-11, 18:43
Administrator

Tricky stuff.

Did you track down that 1836 will? Wouldn't it be awful if it proves not to be the right person!!

Tags
to3g9