Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 09-01-11, 08:49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Ah, a few there I don't have.

I have Edward born 2 June 1823, baptised 28 July 1823, s/o William Whittaker and BETTY, a painter of Tinker Lane.
I've just checked that I copied the date from the FS pilot correctly. FS says 1822 and no dob. As the bap date (28th July) is the same I guess someone has mistrancribed the year.

Looking at post #37 I realised I'd not found the bap for Wm 1830. Had another look and it's under Garlick! Have added him to the list. (couldn't see any others under Garlick. )

I'll look at the burials this evening.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-01-11, 09:20

I found some Whittaker printouts I had done from the IGI ages ago - St Mary Hollinwood, but they were mostly too early for this family. I also found the bit of paper I wrote down my contact's extracts and it is clear there is additional info on the original register as I have an address and occupation for Edward's father. I need to get at the originals.

Also, Thomas's Will. Cheshire Wills database doesn't show it for some reason and the Wills online site I loved so much seems to have disappeared since the disbanding of the old Cheshire County Council, grrrrr.

Although Thomas is an alluring candidate, and I want to get the Will if only to eliminate him, I'm a bit worried that William and Elizabeth's first son was Edward and not Thomas.

I shall be out most of today (I think) so I will update my original post with all this scrummy information this evening, lol.

OC
Old 09-01-11, 12:20
Administrator

This is where I saw the will:

http://www.xmission.com/~nelsonb/lws.htm

and the results page for Garlick 1836:

http://www.xmission.com/~nelsonb/wil...1836&yrrange=0

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-01-11, 12:32
tenterfieldjulie

Isn't that an interesting spelling "Whittacre".
Old 09-01-11, 17:54
Administrator

Right, here are all the baps I've found with parents Wm and Elizabeth (Elizabeth and Betty seems to have been used completely interchangably, so I've not worried about which is used each time, but if you need me to re-check anything, please say) along with any burials. As you said, it is two families by the look of it...........I've made the ones I think are yours BOLD, though the Devenport ones can only be classed as probably bold! lol

27th May 1821 Helena Devenport ......Bur 18th Sept 1822 aged 1yr 5mths Parents Wm & Eliz, address Tinker Lane**(see the end of this post)
28th July 1822 Edward ....................(with Wm and Eliz, named Edmund Garlick, in 1841)
14th Oct 1827 Eleanor Devenport........Bur 4th Aug 1829 aged 1yr 10mths Parents Wm & Eliz, address Tinker Lane**
14th Mar 1830 William .....................(bap is listed under Garlick on FS pilot, father Wm Whittaker G mother Eliz. With Wm and Eliz in 1841)

11th Dec 1831 Mary*
18th May 1832 Elizabeth...................Bur 7th (mth illeg) 1833 aged 11 mths. This one is your family because of newspaper notice.
14th Dec 1834 Thomas Henry ...........(with Wm and Eliz in 1841)

8th Feb 1835 James*
22nd Jan 1837 John*
6th Oct 1839 Jane Alice Elisabeth .....Bur 16th July 1841 aged 2 (with Wm and Eliz in 1841)

*The three apparently surviving children, Mary, James and John could well be these from the 1841 census:

The address looks like "Swineside (or Innside?), Hollinwood, Prestwich Cum Oldham, Oldham Below Town, Lancs" or any part of that you feel like choosing!

William Whittaker 40 Weaver Yes
Betty Whittaker 40 Yes
Mary Whittaker 10 Yes
James Whittaker 5 Yes
John Whittaker 4 Yes

I presume the fathers occs should be in the baptism register?

After 1841 this second family all vanish into outer space, probably at the same time changing their name to O'Nion or something.

**I note you mentioned that for Edward's bap William Whittaker/Garlick was recorded as a painter of Tinker Lane and I see that is the address for the two Devenport burials.........

Old 09-01-11, 17:56

*puts schoolmarm's cap on*

Julie, the name was originally "Quitacre" and came about in the 15th century from the wording on land documents -

John, quitacre to John Inger (Ingoing tenant)

Another derivation has it as White Acre.

OC
Old 09-01-11, 18:53

Oh, that's brilliant Merry, I was never sure about Tinker Lane, thought it could have been Timperley Lane where some of them lived later on, but no, Tinker Lane it is.

That's really strengthening the Devenport marriage too, of course. Edward and Thomas Henry both had daughters called Eleanor and Elizabeth and Jane Alice.

Thanks again Merry.I'm wondering whether to tell my elderly uncle about all this lot or not - he is very proud of his middle name Whittaker, lol and I doubt if he wants to change it to Garlick at this late stage of his game!

OC
Old 09-01-11, 18:55
Administrator

Maybe he could just add the garlic? Erm, I mean Garlick!

Old 09-01-11, 19:03
Administrator

Quote:
That's really strengthening the Devenport marriage too
Don't forget there is a possible birth reg for Jane Alice (Elizabeth) Whittaker in 1839, though the last forename is missing so it may not be her.

Fingers crossed for the 1836 will too.

Old 09-01-11, 20:23

I am wording a fiendishly cunning email to the local Registrar which will I hope allow me to find out if her mmn was Davenport, without me having to buy the cert, lol!

Although Davenport is a common name in Lancs, I do wonder if the later Whittaker to Davenport marriage was to a cousin or some other relative. I will have to follow that up at a later date.

OC

Tags
to3g9