Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 17-01-19, 12:49

Would they need a warrant? They have the DNA profile from whatever source they had it from.

They upload it, although I guess you are only meant to upload your own.

They get a match. I guess at that point they could not compel the match to assist them and a warrant might be needed but if the person volunteered, no warrant needed.
Old 17-01-19, 13:07
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Would they need a warrant? They have the DNA profile from whatever source they had it from.

They upload it, although I guess you are only meant to upload your own.

They get a match. I guess at that point they could not compel the match to assist them and a warrant might be needed but if the person volunteered, no warrant needed.
I would think they would and if not I think they should.

It is to do with evidence integrity and fruit from a poisonous tree. Although I don't know if they do have to have a warrant for that type of thing but you do for other evidence but as you say it is in the public domain but the website must have some type of GDP although it is the USA so who knows.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 17-01-19 at 16:41.
Old 17-01-19, 16:17

I heard two views of this recently. One from Turi King - who helped identify Richard III.
She said that the innocent DNA was on an open DNA website - where individuals upload DNA to be freely available.

The other was on a "worry how much data is collected" programme where the cops had the warrant and forced Ancestry to hand over the goods.

I suppose the interesting stage is whether the owner of the innocent DNA knows what is going on.

I could buy a dozen kits for my friends and use my email addresses to manage them. It might take a bit of digging to discover their identity.