Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 26-03-21, 12:37

Default New Look Ancestry display

The latest upgrade, coming later to my account than others, has some excellent features, like being able to see my notes.

But it appears they haven't settled on what a distant ancestor is: it varies each time I visit, and they are using <1% for virtually all my matches.

Less than a dozen of my matches exceed 1%, making this a not very helpful piece of information. Anyone know if this is intended to be in place long term?
Old 26-03-21, 17:05

The new display is awful on my desktop computer; I think they must have optimised it for smartphones, because it looks OK on my phone.

On my computer (still running Windows 7), each entry is divided into columns of the same width. If the name in the first column is longer than the width of the column, part of it is just invisible, whereas there are several columns which could be made much narrower without losing anything.

I wish they'd add a column specifying whether the match has any shared matches or not. It'd make it far quicker to look through small matches and ignore any unlikely to be helpful.
Old 26-03-21, 18:19

I agree that wanting everything to be in portrait is a bummer. I can only get two matches on screen at a time, so I have to continually refresh to eliminate those matches not discarded. Shared matches would be really useful. And a way to distinguish new matches with common ancestors. Best Mate has 69 DNA matches to one ancestor, and it's a challenge to find out who the new one is.
Old 26-03-21, 19:15
Administrator

View all DNA matches, then Filter by Common Ancestors, then sort by Date. Does that work?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-03-21, 19:21

That would only work if people add a full tree when they join. I have to keep checking my discarded matches as every so often a new common ancestor pops up.
Old 26-03-21, 19:34
Administrator

Oh, right. I have put comments on all my existing "common ancestors" matches, so if I had any new ones in the sense that you mean, I could spot them by filtering Common Ancestors and then looking for those without comments (or notes, whatever they call them).

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-03-21, 20:12

I've created a group for them... though it does get complicated when some "common ancestors" aren't.