Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-05-21, 07:57

Hi ,i know it's sometime ago that we did this research . About william Grimshaw I checked william grimshaws burial date in Pemberton . and he died age 80 in 1905 . if it helps . I also found the 1851 census with ellen and william living in Durham ,with daughter Margeret aged 6 and Son james age 1 . I believe that's them . perhaps from there they moved to Glasgow . Perhaps James died as they had their second son james in 1856 in Glasgow . I believe we have mentioned margeret before . She doesn't seem to be with her parents later in scotland . but perhaps she stayed with Grandparents ? Unless i can find her death . I thought I may glean more info from the censuses . i can't get the full 1851 census on FS. as it only gives basic info . I can't go to the library yet as places are limited to use ancestry . so if you can let me have a copy of this 1851 ,census i would be most grateful . Shona has mentioned . the grimshaw family in church st . Mother Betty . could it be that the birth of william is wrong .as i have a gut feeling about this family . ? let me know what you think ? thanks
Old 03-05-21, 08:48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
so if you can let me have a copy of this 1851 ,census i would be most grateful .
1851 census

Wingate, Durham

Wm Grimshaw head married 26 coal miner b Lancashire
Ellen Grimshaw wife married 28 b Lancashire
Margt Grimshaw dau unm 6 b Lancashire
James Grimshaw so unm 1 b Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
Shona has mentioned . the grimshaw family in church st . Mother Betty . could it be that the birth of william is wrong .as i have a gut feeling about this family . ? let me know what you think ? thanks
I've found Shona's post regarding the family with mother Betty:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...7&postcount=15

Please can you explain what you mean by, "could it be that the birth of william is wrong".

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-05-21, 08:54

Hi ,merry Good morning , just been so busy putting our house up for sale and looking for a new place . The family grimshaw shona mentions in church st Blackrod , Is from the 1841 census . there's a william grimshaw in that family but it says age 11 , could that be wrong ? i'm sorry for not explaining . lol
Old 03-05-21, 09:01
Administrator

Ah OK.

The William Grimshaw aged 11 in 1841 is aged 20 in 1851 and still single and living in Church St with his parents William and Betty. Your William was married by then.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-05-21, 09:04

hi ,i checked the mines in durham and there are two collieries 1 and 2 wingate grange . so William may have worked there .
Old 03-05-21, 09:57
Administrator

All the UK censuses are free to view on Findmypast today. Hope you can find some time to have a look on there before their offer ends! This is a link to that 1851 census on there:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...1%2F0015954913

(You will need to have an account on there, but not a subscription.)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-05-21, 11:06

hi , i have logged in but, it won't let me search without paying ,it does a search , then the person comes up and then you have to pay . so it's a swizz .
Old 03-05-21, 13:23
Administrator

Oh, sorry about that. It was letting me view it free when I posted earlier today. I thought "till 3rd May" would mean until the end of the day! It must have ended around 10 a.m. or 11 a.m. Very strange.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-05-21, 13:38

not to worry
Old 03-05-21, 15:22

Ahi ,I know i'm clutching at straws . but I just thought i'd look at Bolton and little bolton online parish clerks to see if i could find William . i know the name is common . but i did find a william. grimshaw , baptised in 1825 . Father Charles and mother Hannah . it says abode little Bolton . i know it's a long shot but it was worth looking .