Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 09-03-14, 11:43
Administrator

Default Tips for using ancestry's new search

I thought we should have a thread for tips for ancestry's "new search" as it is taking a bit of getting used to for some of us! Hopefully those who have been using it for a while can come up with some, but this is one I came up with as someone was asking about it on Facebook:

If you are searching the England and Wales Birth Index 1837-1915 (ie. the FreeBMD one), to search on mother's maiden name for the 1911-1915 births, put the mother's maiden name into the main surname field.

For example, if you want to find births with surname Brown and MMN Smith, type Brown Smith into the surname field.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-03-14, 11:51
Administrator

Also, so we can find it easily, this is ancestry's help article about the new search, though I think it is out of date:
http://help.ancestry.com/app/answers...d/5569/kw/5569

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-03-14, 11:55

Thanks Kite - that's very useful.
Old 09-03-14, 12:09
Administrator

Has anyone been able to make any of the location fields work? I gave up on those ages ago and put place names in the Keywords box. This works OK, but means I get more results than with the old search, as obviously there's no differentiation between where someone lives and where they were born.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-03-14, 12:14
Administrator

Watch out that in some search screens (it may be all of them!) if you chose to add a variable for the date of a birth, marriage, death or general event such as +/- 2 years, you must select B, M, D or other BEFORE you select the +/- 2 years (or whatever) as if you select the type of event after the variable the variable reverts to Exact year.

Well, I know what I mean!.....

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-03-14, 12:29

That is useful, Kite, but what an incredibly stupid way to program the search.
Old 09-03-14, 12:31

One thing I didn't notice for a while: normally, if I do a search and don't get the result I want, I go back to the search page and change something, like the date or whatever.

I normally do this by using the back button on my browser, which worked with the Old Search, but it doesn't now, because it just clears all the fields. You have to click on Edit Search to get back to your original search.

It means that all my searches are taking twice as long, because I automatically use the back button.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 09-03-14 at 12:35.
Old 09-03-14, 12:44
Administrator

I haven't found that to be any different than before, Mary!

I can use the back button on my browser to take me any number of levels back except for the last one that would take me to the first Search screen. If I click back to that one all fields are emptied, but it was exactly the same for me with the Old search.

Old 09-03-14, 12:57

I've found that by acknowledging Ancestry's suggestions for place names that I get a better response ie Bethnal Green, Middlesex, England rather than just Bethnal Green (even in the LMA records!)

I must admit that I quite like the "edit search" facility, it's quicker way to change just one search field.
Old 09-03-14, 13:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue from Southend View Post
I've found that by acknowledging Ancestry's suggestions for place names that I get a better response ie Bethnal Green, Middlesex, England rather than just Bethnal Green (even in the LMA records!)
That's the thing that doesn't work for me! As far as I can see if I select Bethnal green, Middlesex, England (their suggestion) I only get results with those words included, so anyone whose entry just says Bethnal green or Betnall Green etc doesn't seem to get included in the results. I've just tried changing the selection choice under the location box to default setting rather than exact and that helped a bit but I think it pushed the mis-spelled transcriptions further down the lest than the old search would have done, which I don't like! lol