Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 17-01-10, 18:30

Default Joneses

Probably this should go under FFF rather than FFFM, but never mind...

As previously mentioned, I have recently found that my father's father's father wasn't the person whom I'd thought he was. The only two pieces of information I have about him which I am sure are correct are the following:

1911 census - Rose Cottages, Ystradgynlais, Breconshire
Thomas Jones, head, 30, married, carpenter, born Cwmllymfell, Carmarthenshire
Mary Ann Jones, wife, 32, married, born Resolven, Glamorgan
David John Jones, son, 7, born Ystradgynlais, Breconshire

Marriage certificate - marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of Ystradgynlais in the County of Brecon, September 5th 1902:
Tom Jones, 22, bachelor, carpenter, residence Smithfield Terrace, Cwmllymfell, Llanguicke; father John Jones, smith.
Mary Ann Evns, 23, spinster, residence Rose Cottage, Ystradgynlais; father David Evans, engineer.

Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, by Certificate by me, D. J. Teague, Curate.

This Marriage was solemnized between us, {Tom Jones, Mary Ann Evans}, in the Presence of us, {Thomas Evans, P. J. Howells}.

I've looked for Tom Jones (and his mother, whoever she might have been) on the 1901 and earlier censuses, with no luck - any help would be much appreciated!
Old 17-01-10, 23:45
Administrator

Am I right in thinking that Cwmllynfell is listed as being in Glamorgan on the 1901 census? I've not managed to find the actual pages with it on yet, though.

But something Google turned up:

This is a catalogue of archives held at the West Glamorgan Archive Service in the Civic Centre, Swansea.

D/D SB 14/120/1, 2> Assignment of lease for residue of term of 99 years, for £115, rent £1 7s 6d, 24 Jun 1908; (i) Henry Wilkins of Brynderw, New Road, Llanelly, county of Carmarthen, merchant, to (ii) Mary Jones of 1, Smithfield Terrace, Cwmllynfell, said county, widow: Piece of ground with messuage thereon known as 5, Edward Street; Recites lease, 31 Jan 1834 (see D/D SB 14/10/1, 2), indenture, 26 Apr 1859 (see D/D SB 14/41) and will of John Arthur Davies, 26 Mar 1885; Licence to assign, 17 Jun 1908. Ernald Edward Richardson of Glanbrydan Park, Manordeilo, county of Carmarthen, esquire, to (i) to assign to (ii)
[1 paper, 1 parchment]

<D/D SB 14/142/1, 2> Assignment of lease for residue of term of 99 years, for £58 6s 8d, rent £1 7s 6d yearly, 28 Sep 1912; (i) Morgan Jones of Maes-y-crug House, Cwmllynfell, county of Carmarthen, mechanic and (ii) David Jones of 9, Norman Road, Ammanford, said county, mechanic and (iii) Margaret Thomas, wife of Evan Thomas of Claremont House, Westbourne Grove, Sketty, near Swansea, drapers assistant and (iv) Thomas Jones of Rose Cottage, Yniscedwyn, Ystradgynlais, carpenter and (v) Elizabeth Ann Jones of 1, Smithfield Terrace, Cwmllynfell, spinster, to (vi) Elias Jones of 1, Smithfield Terrace, aforesaid, clothier: 5 undivided sixth parts or shares of (i), (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v) in leasehold plot and dwellinghouse, 5, Edward Street; Recites lease, 31 Jan 1834 (see D/D SB 14/10/1, 2) indenture, 24 Jun 1908 (see D/D SB 14.120/1, 2) and will of Mary Jones (mother of (i), (ii), (iii), (iv), (v) and (vi), 12 Mar 1912; Licence to assign, 19 Sep 1912. Robert Eden Richardson of Morestead, Winchester, county of Hants, esq. and Arthur Campbell Duckworth of Ben Mead, Box, county of Wilts, as executors and trustees of will of Ernald Edward Richardson, late of Glanbrydan Park, Manordeilo, county of Carmarthen, esq., deceased, to (i), (ii), (iv) and (v) to assign to (vi)
[2 papers]

*pinches self to make sure not dreaming - this seems to give us a lot of Thomas's family tree!*

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-01-10, 23:47
Administrator

Ah, this is so not fair - now I've found that, I want to get straight to work looking them up on the censuses etc but it's my bedtime and by the time I get on here tomorrow with time to work on it, someone will have found them already! Never mind!

Old 17-01-10, 23:48
Administrator

Well, o.k., managed to get the 1891 before going to bed:

RG12; Piece: 4512; Folio 33; Page 12

Old 18-01-10, 07:03
Administrator

tuts - I spent all last night on this

Well done!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-01-10, 07:32
Administrator

OMG, I've just looked up that 1891 census record and it's the same people I chose as most likely from the 1881 census last night, but didn't post as I had no proof and didn't want to muddy the waters with something that was wrong! I was looking for at least another three hours after that!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-01-10, 08:14
Administrator

So this is the 1891 entry:

Ystradowen Cottage, Quarter Bach, Carmarthen
John Jones Head Married 45 Smith Landore Swansea Both
Mary Jones Wife Do 45 Llanfynydd Do Both
Morgan Jones Son Single 17 Smith Striker Llanguicke Glamorgan Both
David Jones Do Do 15 Do Do Do Both
Margaret Jones Daughter Do 13 Scholar Quarter Bach Carm Both
Thomas Jones Son Do 10 Do Do Do Both
Elias Jones Do Do 8 Llanguicke Glamorgan Both
Elizabeth Anne Jones Daughter Single 6 Llanguicke Glamorgan Welsh

By the way, I wasn't Googling to find anything about the family, only to see if I could get a census ref for Smithfield Terrace! Now if only I can find something similar for my Thomas Morgan and / or William Williams...

Old 18-01-10, 08:18
Administrator

Same address in 1881, but civil parish says Llangadock:
John Jones Head Mar 35 Smith in a Colliery Glamorgan Swansea
Mary Jones Wife Mar 34 Carmarthen Llanfynydd
Morgan Jones Son 7 Scholar Carmarthen Llangadock
David Jones Son 4 Scholar Do Do
Margaret Jones Daur 3 Do Do
Thomas Jones Son 10 mo Do Do

Old 18-01-10, 10:02
Administrator

I should think you will have to get the birth certificate for one of John and Mary's children to get Mary's maiden name, and Elias looks to be the best bet. I think this should be his birth registration, from FreeBMD:

Births Mar 1883 (>99%)

Jones Elias Pontardawe 11a 639

(You could specify parents' names when ordering if you want to avoid getting a wrong cert)

Old 18-01-10, 23:23

Kite, you are amazing - whatever bunch of Joneses I come up with you always manage to track them down! Thank you.

Tags
to2g1