Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 24-11-16, 22:40

Bullivant is a name locally here. OH wondered on a connection.
Old 25-11-16, 05:26

I enjoyed it. I hadn't seen any spoilers and foound the connections to Cromwell very interesting. I knew Gregory had married well, but not the he had married a Seymour!. Liked the workhouse bit, but thought the way he delivered the news to the old lady wasn't very sensitive, I guess she must have been prepared for it. Didn't find the civil war bit interesting though.
I hadn't seen him on tv much, but didn't think much to him or his wife
Old 25-11-16, 06:12
Administrator

I can't stand him. I usually turn off any programme he's in because he makes me grind my teeth with annoyance at his "cheeky chappie" routine.

I persevered, however, and the programme itself was interesting.

Lord Tollemoche is Hon Chairman of Suffolk Family History Society and he seems like a lovely chap.

I've been an admirer of Thomas Cromwell since the Henry VIII programme with Keith Michell. Very clever man.

I agree with Lynn about the wife.

Old 25-11-16, 07:03

Haven't seen the programme yet but I couldn't help doing the sums when I read Kate,s synopsis.

King Edward was one of his 22xggfs, making him just one of the 4 million ancestors he had at that point. No more and no less important genetically than any of the others and genetically insignificant now anyway.

OC
Old 25-11-16, 07:06

I really enjoyed the program. I'm not the biggest fan of Danny Dyer but he doesn't grate on me like he does some people. I just thought he and his wife were joking around at the end.

I didn't know much about Thomas Cromwell at all so I found the info about him really interesting. I also enjoyed the part about the civil war but then, again, I didn't know much about it previously.

I said to my husband that they must have prepared the elderly relative for the information that Danny was going to tell her. I know Danny is a bit straight on the point, but I don't think he would even just sit down and tell her such sensitive information outright like that.
Old 25-11-16, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Haven't seen the programme yet but I couldn't help doing the sums when I read Kate,s synopsis.

King Edward was one of his 22xggfs, making him just one of the 4 million ancestors he had at that point. No more and no less important genetically than any of the others and genetically insignificant now anyway.

OC
OC, I was saying exactly the same thing to OH last night about how many 22x grand-parents we have. I suspect by that stage many of them appear twice or even more across the tree!
Old 25-11-16, 07:14
maggie_4_7

I am confused they said Albert's mother's name was Janet Wing but on all the census Charles' wife is Hannah, Albert is 9, Hannah is 20 years younger than Charles. I must admit watching the program I was a bit distracted.

Edit: checked the GRO and Hannah Martha the oldest child on census has MMN Wing on baptism mother's name Hannah.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 25-11-16 at 08:21.
Old 25-11-16, 08:22
Administrator

I haven't watched this, but (following on from Maggie's post) Charles seems to have married Mary Ann Frampton in Mortlake Surrey in 1830 (LMA) and had children with her up to the mid 1840s. Then he has children (inc Albert, but also including others back to 1847 from memory) with Hannah Sarah Wing, but Mary Ann is still living in 1861 and has the older children with her. Her occ is listed as wife of super cargo clerk. In 1851 Charles is with Mary Ann at Bankside, Saint Saviour, Surrey. His date/place of birth is 1804-5/Norwich, the same as when he's with Hannah Sarah on the following census.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-11-16, 08:25
Administrator

Mary Ann died in 1867, so after Charles, hence no marriage between him and Hannah Sarah Wing.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-11-16, 08:31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
I am confused they said Albert's mother's name was Janet Wing but on all the census Charles' wife is Hannah, Albert is 9, Hannah is 20 years younger than Charles. I must admit watching the program I was a bit distracted.

Edit: checked the GRO and Hannah Martha the oldest child on census has MMN Wing on baptism mother's name Hannah.
I've found the image of Albert's birth certificate on iPlayer and it says mother Hannah Sarah Buttivant, formerly Wing. Danny does say Hannah Sarah on the programme, so I must have written it down wrong. Sorry! I will correct the synopsis.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update