Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 19-02-16, 13:30
Administrator

Oh, I'd forgotten about this one who is the person I was supposed to be looking for!

John (Dawson) was baptised in Fewston Yorkshire on 24/1/1819

No, I've not found him yet. He might have said he was born in Otley rather than Fewston I suppose.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-02-16, 21:35

Hello yes, I meant John. You are right, he may have changed where he lived, he may also have said his father was James.

Elizabeth, thanks for the information. Could you have a look for a death for a John Dawson please.

I know what happened to Jonathan in the long term. I'm unsure about the 1841 census but given I know what area Rachel went to I'll have another look.

Why do I have busy periods when I want to sit on ancestry and FMP? lol
Old 21-02-16, 15:58

Have you looked at this site for Fewston.

http://wharfegen.org.uk/
Old 21-02-16, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I have a John Dawson with a father Stephen. I do not know of the marriage I posted is that of my John. Part of me feels it isn't mine as it didn't say Stephen was deceased but I know not all registers do and it is the only Stephen I have come across.

John was baptised in Fewston Yorkshire on 24/1/1819, father Stephen, mother Rachel/Rachael (nee Hogg). John had an older brother Jonathan (baptised 29/4/1816), who is my direct ancestor and a younger brother Stephen, baptised 2/3/1824 died in 4/3/1824, and sadly never met his father, who died 1/10/1823.

Rachel disappeared and I have not been able to work out what happened to her.
My burials only go up to 1850.

27 April 1850
John Dawson
aged 28
from Otley
Killed in Westgate

But the age is a couple of years out.
Old 22-02-16, 01:43

Julie, no I haven't but I will be shortly.

Elizabeth thank you. I'll start searching the newspapers to see what I can find out.
Old 22-02-16, 02:02

John Dawson

This John Dawson is not mine. John was single, a sawyer and had a brother Robert.

A sad story, he tried to help his brother who was being attacked by a group a drunk men but they ended up killing him instead.
Old 22-02-16, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBee View Post
Have you looked at this site for Fewston.

http://wharfegen.org.uk/
It took me a few hours to have them accept my registration but this site is wonderful.

They have spent the last 20 odd years creating family trees out of the parish registers for the area they are interested in.

They do not come down closer than Stephen Dawson, John and Jonathan's father but they do go backwards and have confirmed a few things I've thought but didn't yet have enough evidence for. Sadly FMP and Ancestry do not seem to have the registers online to have the visual proof but it is very good to see what they have.
Old 22-02-16, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
It took me a few hours to have them accept my registration but this site is wonderful.

They have spent the last 20 odd years creating family trees out of the parish registers for the area they are interested in.

They do not come down closer than Stephen Dawson, John and Jonathan's father but they do go backwards and have confirmed a few things I've thought but didn't yet have enough evidence for. Sadly FMP and Ancestry do not seem to have the registers online to have the visual proof but it is very good to see what they have.
What precise area do they cover, Toni?
Old 22-02-16, 19:12

I live in the next town to Otley and often visit Toni, so if there is anything I can do to help, just shout. There is a very old graveyard but I think a lot of the graves are quite illegible now. There is a really nice reservoir at Fewston which I have walked around many times!
Old 22-02-16, 19:34

Elizabeth this is what it says :
Quote:
The Wharfedale & Craven Genealogical Study is an ongoing project to construct the family lines and histories of individuals and families who may have lived the Wharfedale and Craven areas of Yorkshire.
I'll try and see if there is anything more specific.