Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 23-08-12, 08:10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel A View Post
and then had to put his daughters up for adoption after Emily 2 was tragically killed...
They were fostered out, but evidently stayed in touch with him or even went back to live with him later, since one of them was the informant on his death certificate.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 23-08-12, 08:13

It occurred to me that when Emily (1)'s baby died in the fire, if it had been the other child, Gregg wouldn't be here. After all, both children were in the bed and the bed caught fire too.

Rishile
Old 23-08-12, 08:16
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishile View Post
It occurred to me that when Emily (1)'s baby died in the fire, if it had been the other child, Gregg wouldn't be here. After all, both children were in the bed and the bed caught fire too.

Rishile
He did say on the program at one point its a wonder I'm here or something like that but that goes for a lot of people if you look back at their FH.
Old 23-08-12, 11:34
Administrator

Just thinking about the divorce papers - shouldn't they state Vera's supposed parentage? Also, I think they showed Vera's birth certificate, didn't they? Does anybody know what it said for father's name?

Old 23-08-12, 11:42
Administrator

Here is some unseen footage which sheds some light on why Henry didn't turn up in court for the divorce proceedings:

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazi.../footage/13764

Old 23-08-12, 11:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Just thinking about the divorce papers - shouldn't they state Vera's supposed parentage? Also, I think they showed Vera's birth certificate, didn't they? Does anybody know what it said for father's name?
Managed to find it myself on iPlayer - and it does say Henry Roland Springett for father's name on the birth certificate. So if he wasn't the father, I would have thought there would be a mention of this in the divorce papers.

Old 23-08-12, 11:52

Thanks Kite, that's interesting
Old 23-08-12, 12:02

The Bible Christian connections sparked my curiosity. We were told that Selina was baptised a Bible Christian. Samuel Ley Thorne (b 1830) was one of the most prominent Bible Christians. They were active in Stoke Damerel (i went to school in Stoke Damerel) in Plymouth as well as North Devon and Cornwall. I haven't been able to establish a connection between Eli Lethern/Leathern/Leythorn, but it seems possible.

Bible Christian backgroud:
James and John Thorne met preacher William Bryant and invited him to preach at Lake Farm, Shebbear, N Devon. Afterwards, 22 people asked him to set up a religious society - seven were members of the Thorne family. The Thorne family became key to the development of the society.

John Thorne married Mary Ley in 1789. They had five children:
1 Mary b 1790
2 John b 1793
3 James b 1795
4 Susanna b 1801
5 Samuel b 1798

Samuel Thorne b 1798, set up a print works in Stoke Damerel in Plymouth in 1823. He married Mary O'Bryan in 1825. They had nine children - two in Plymouth and the others in Shebbear, N Devon. It was their son Samuel Ley Thorne, b 1830, who became one of the most prominent Bible Christian preachers.

The print works must have produced the prayer book that Gregg was shown.
Old 23-08-12, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Managed to find it myself on iPlayer - and it does say Henry Roland Springett for father's name on the birth certificate. So if he wasn't the father, I would have thought there would be a mention of this in the divorce papers.
As she was a married woman it is always assumed that the husband is the father surely
Old 23-08-12, 12:13
Administrator

I think they only said that Selina's children were baptised as Bible Christians, I don't think they said whether Selina herself was. But that's very interesting about the Thorns, Shona. There surely must be a connection with the Leythorns.