Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 25-06-21, 09:55

Thanks, OC. I'm going to compile a list of the possibles and your information will help.

The question is, did Isabella have a relationship/fling with a man of roughly her own age or was she seduced by an older man, possibly married? How did they meet and where?
I assume James Sim didn't live in the parish of Grange as he wasn't summoned but sent a letter. On the same page, another father appeared in person.
Old 25-06-21, 10:13

Yes, I thought it a bit odd that he didn't have to appear in person. The fact that he wrote a letter suggests a degree of education. And I wonder why there was nothing in the register of corrected 3ntries as there was a written admission of paternity.

Thankyou for this, though! It has given me something to do, my own research is at a standstill these days and this has helped push a branch back a couple of generations.

OC
Old 25-06-21, 10:36

OC, I'm pleased this is helping your research.

The other cases on the same two pages are interesting reading.
Where possible, the father appeared. One girl named a chap but didn't know where he was, other couples appeared together. One chap admitted he had been with the girl but denied paternity - I don't know how he would know!
Old 25-06-21, 10:53

That reminds me, many years ago the local rag used to report with relish the proceedings of paternity cases in the Sheriff Court. One has stuck in my mind and still makes me laugh to this day. A young woman who had claimed paternity against a man, was horrified and extremely upset when the said man appeared in his best suit and a few of his mates, all swearing on the bible that they had all many times enjoyed her favours. The Sheriff grinned apparently and said that they would all have to have blood tests and in the meantime, would ALL have to pay the young woman 30 shillings a week, haha! Uproar in court and the Sheriff pointed out the penalties for perverting the course of justice and perjury.

OC
Old 25-06-21, 13:43
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
One of the possibles is from Gamrie, OC.

There is no indication of his age or residence, just the fact that he admitted paternity, which makes tracing him like looking for a needle in a haystack!

There's a JAMES SIM at Gamrie in 1871. Born c. 1840.
My great-great-grandmother (the mother of the illegitimate child) was born in 1845.

He is living at Montbletton, Gamrie, Banffshire, Scotland. He is married with children.
https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui...=successSource

Did you notice his son is a writer? So he learnt to write.
Old 25-06-21, 14:35

I did think, after I posted above, that there was no.proof he actually wrote the letter himself, he could have got someone to write it for him, lol. But - I have found that most of my humble scots could read and write, more so than their contemporary English counterparts.

ETA - isn't a writer the archaic Scots for a solicitor or am I confused?

OC

Last edited by Olde Crone; 25-06-21 at 14:37.
Old 25-06-21, 15:51

Maggie, I saw that and thought it was interesting. Perhaps he was intended for better things if he were the father!

Re. wills.

Isabella Richardson's (the mother, not the illegitimate child) mother was Jane Archibald. She was the illegitimate daughter of William Archibald and Jane Mallice and was born c. 1816 in Glass, Aberdeenshire. William Archibald married Janet Richardson in 1820. When William died he stipulated: "I appoint my said Executors
to pay to my natural daughter Jean Arch=
ibald the sum of Ten pounds Sterling, and
also to pay to my natural son William
Archibald an equal sum of Ten pounds
Sterling, ..."

He also made provision for his illegitimate son William Archibald by the same mother.
Old 25-06-21, 17:19
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Maggie, I saw that and thought it was interesting. Perhaps he was intended for better things if he were the father!

Re. wills.

Isabella Richardson's (the mother, not the illegitimate child) mother was Jane Archibald. She was the illegitimate daughter of William Archibald and Jane Mallice and was born c. 1816 in Glass, Aberdeenshire. William Archibald married Janet Richardson in 1820. When William died he stipulated: "I appoint my said Executors
to pay to my natural daughter Jean Arch=
ibald the sum of Ten pounds Sterling, and
also to pay to my natural son William
Archibald an equal sum of Ten pounds
Sterling, ..."

He also made provision for his illegitimate son William Archibald by the same mother.
The one born 1840 is a Labourer but someone needed to teach the son, I would not think school was a regular thing that was attended then and he was only 17.
Old 25-06-21, 17:42

Very interesting.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/inde...topic=197646.0