Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 26-07-13, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Una is a luvvie, darling.
Old 26-07-13, 20:38

Shona
Oh yes, I realise that - but it was a bit OTT

Researching Gillett in Preston/Sheffield and Campbell and Wilkie and Hepburn in and around Glasgow
Old 30-11-13, 23:15

Default Thrilled to find this thread!

Can't believe my luck - thank-you Google!

Short intro - I'm an ex-Brit, long-time Canadian living in Western Canada. I have been researching my family history, off and on, for a couple of years.

I'm a relative of Una's (met her a couple of times in the 70's) as she is my father's cousin. My Dad is one of Albert's sons and remembers 'Uncle Clary' (Una's father Clarence) very well. By the way, Jocelyn (Una's cousin) in the show is my auntie, Dad's only sis - love her to bits! My UK family taped the show and I was sent a copy on DVD as we don't have it in Canada yet.

I have a fair amount of background info (some fact, some rumour) but we have a dead-end with Annie. As you know, the show concentrated on Arthur Stubbs who is not related to me and I suspect it may be because of the lack of information after Annie. I have contacted both the BBC and the York archives to see if they have more info than was broadcast in the show; the latter said it was unlikely but they'd check.

A few things came up that I/we didn't know: Annie's mother's name, Eliza; where Annie bore Albert and then Clarence; Clarence's full name and birthdate. We had that as 1906, a different Clarence obviously, and were sure that Arthur was therefore not the father as he would have probably been too young. I still think that Clarence may be another man's son and, as one poster has suggested, a clue being the middle name "Watson" - a neighbour? This is where addresses/names from census may help.

Family rumour says that Annie Robinson was adopted by an 'aunt' (Mary Hannah Harper/Horsfall). Another rumour says that Annie, who was a sweet packer around age 16-18, posed for an artist (son of an an aristocratic, prominent family) and fell pregnant with Albert, my great-grandfather, during that time. Her portrait, titled "Annie" hung in the York gallery. I contacted the gallery last year but they were under renovation and unable to help online. I have not been able to confirm any of the but would LOVE to be able to find a promising lead. Albert did not find out that Arthur was not his father until well into his thirties.

Since Annie gave birth in the Workhouse and reverted to her birth name of Robinson, I expect Mary Horsfall may have disowned her.

Where she went and how she coped over the next 5 years isn't known (again, census info needed). I think she was working as a domestic and somehow made her way to Rose Street for the birth of Clary. Anyway, not too relevant for me as Albert's my man!

It is hard to believe that Clary didn't bring his kids (Una) to see his Mum. I've asked my Dad about this and he said that Clary's wife forbade him (I expect that Annie's colourful past did not go down well with his wife) and he was a bit of a softie. He visited his cousins (and Mum) regularly, though.

I am a novice at all this but love the hunt and discovery! With limited funds, I have not yet subscribed to any genealogy websites as I am unsure which ones will be most suitable. I am ready to do so and would like to ask for subscriptions for Christmas. Recommendations gladly accepted! As for you geni-experts, I am all ears and appreciate any information you can pass my way.

Kind Regards,
Karen Smith
BC, Canada
Old 30-11-13, 23:29
Administrator

Hi Karen,
Welcome to the forum and glad you found this thread helpful. And it's great to hear from someone who is so closely related to a WDYTYA subject.

It's quite late at night over here so I will have to post a quick reply and get back to this tomorrow.

Albert was born 1903 and Clarence 1908, so unfortunately there will be no census information covering the period between their births as the UK census is only taken every ten years, so it jumps from 1901 to 1911. On the 1901 census Annie is still with Mary Horsfall and on the 1911 she is with Arthur. I can't remember the details of what workhouse records they showed, but I suppose it's possible there might be more mentions of Annie somewhere in the poor law records, which I think would be at York archives.

Looking at York Art Gallery's website, it says they will be closed until 2015.

Oh, and subscription websites - if you want both UK and Canadian records I think it would have to be ancestry. If you haven't already had a free trial of their site there should be one available, I think you can usually get a 14 day free trial but you have to give credit card details when registering and then make sure to cancel before the end of the free trial to make sure they don't charge you for a sub. So read the terms and conditions etc carefully!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-11-13, 23:47
Administrator

Just before I go to bed, there is a public tree on ancestry which shows Annie's mother Eliza as the daughter of George Robinson and Mary Best, born 1861 in York and dying 1908 in Knaresborough, but we don't know where they got this information from nor whether it is correct. They don't show a link to the 1881, 1891 or 1901 census entry. Will look into it tomorrow.

Old 01-12-13, 01:21

Thanks so much, KR, for your timely reply. I do realise that there are no census between the births - a mis-speak (type?!) on my part.
I only need British records so presume Ancestry will be best then? If so, I will subscribe for a trial and put it on my Christmas list!

Since Annie worked for Rowntree, maybe there will be records/dates? Knowing when she left may be useful....? I shall have to learn more about the poor courts. The lead you found on Eliza sounds wonderful but as you say, it may be uncorroborated.

My mother is Scottish and I have had lots of success tracing two branches quite a ways back (to 1300's!). I can't take all the credit as one line is from the Shetlands so there are some great trees I was able to join. Another Scotland line of mine is a prominent surname it's own tartan, clan and National Trust House - love this hobby!

Cheers!

Remember, in 100 years, all new people.
Old 01-12-13, 10:35
Administrator

If it's only British records you want, Karen, have a look at Findmypast too. I think they also offer a free trial so you could try both out and see which you like best.

Old 01-12-13, 16:59
Administrator

Sorry to say that as far as I can see, there is no evidence for the Eliza Robinson who was George and Mary's daughter (see post #55) being Annie's mother, nor for her being the one who died in Knaresborough in 1908. Of course the owner of that tree on ancestry might have more info that is not online.

Old 01-12-13, 19:42

Thank-you, KR. I will keep digging......

Remember, in 100 years, all new people.