Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 02-10-12, 00:21

Default Yay, I found them, finally !!!

When I first started researching my Rodfords and Worners from Somerset, I found Duncan Weir's genealogyhelp website for Martock and surrounding areas, and extensively used his transcripts to piece together the families. However, it was not complete and for a long time Duncan has not added to the transciptions.

Last week after a bit of discussion about putting in dual dates, I decided I should probably review my whole database and make the dates from freebmd and other sources as consistent as possible, and while at it, check what information I needed on each person. In a week, I have done 110 entries (well, I went away for three days and didn't do any).

BUT I decided to see if anything for Martock had made its way into the FreeREG database, and behold, I found most of the RODFORDs and WORNERs I was missing. Even then, I was still missing Matilda Jane Worner's baptism, so I started looking further afield in surrounding towns - and found her baptism in Keinton Mandeville at the beginning of 1814 - I am fairly sure its the right baptism

Matilda Jane Warener (a known variation) baptised 30 Jan 1814 to Joseph, a butcher, and Mary. I am fairly sure she was born in 1813, so maybe very late in the year. All their other 11 children, before and after Jane, were baptised at All Saints Martock, so I can only think that the depths of winter prevented them travelling to Martock for a baptism.

EDIT - there are SQUIER baptisms in Keinton, and Jane's mother was Mary Squire, so maybe they were visiting family - no baptism for Mary there about the right date, but maybe I need patience and keep looking !!

Diane

Last edited by marquette; 02-10-12 at 00:52.
Old 02-10-12, 01:25

Hooray! Isn't it a wonderful feeling when some unexpected pieces suddenly fit into the puzzle, Diane?

Janet (Niagara)
Old 02-10-12, 02:37

Yes, Janet, I am really happy - and that after 13 years of family history, I can still find things to look for and solve the puzzles that niggle at me !!

Its also a great feeling when a hunch that seems way off track turns about to be right.

I think that going back over my early research is probably a great idea, I added ancestors like Matilda Jane very early on, and only periodicaly thought about finding her baptism, and I often balked at a wholesale review of thousands of ancestors and relatives, but I found a relatively easy way to keep track of who I have reviewed, so I am going to do it this time !!

Di
Old 02-10-12, 03:48

Good for you, Di. I look forward to going back over my own earlier research with a keener eye and hopefully more records online since I last looked.

Janet (Niagara)