Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 08-06-13, 08:36
Administrator

Default Frustration!

Every few months I have another look at the details of stuff held at the Cambridge Archives for my Maynard family.

I was aware of there being ten volumes of documents at Cambridge and a further three volumes at the Saffron Walden museum where the brother of my great-grandfather was curator. I once visited the SW museum - of course on a day they couldn't show me their three volumes - and I remember they were adamant they would never let their stuff go to Cambridge, however, upon looking at the CALM catalogue it would seem Cambridge now have the lot:

Whittlesford Voumes

I had always understood that within these 13 volumes there was some FH information, but imagined it might be minimal. However, further prodding of the online catalogue shows me there is also this lot (Nathan is my 2xg-grandfather):

Maynard family papers

But I am here and they are 130 miles away! (and therefore a huge amount if money away). It's not just the distance, but imagine how long it would take to photograph everything!

I think I need to move house!!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-06-13, 09:09
Administrator

Make sure that at least one of your kids goes to Cambridge University, Merry, and volunteer to drive them over there at the start of each term! Oh, and for their interviews too.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-06-13, 09:22
Administrator

lol Kate! What a good idea - might be a bit of a tall order for either of them though!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-06-13, 09:23
Administrator

Oh, or the other university there, Anglia Ruskin.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-06-13, 09:52
Administrator

Can you do a degree in playing on the X Box?

Of course your idea still requires me to wait another 4+ years at least!!

Old 08-06-13, 10:36

I was going to say, Merry, I bet you couldn't wait that long.

So, do you have a plan??
Old 08-06-13, 11:17
tenterfieldjulie

How long does it take to drive there?
Old 08-06-13, 11:34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post
How long does it take to drive there?
About 3-4 hours Julie. Not that I've driven that far for 20 years probably! I've known the non-family stuff was there for 15 years (only properly realised there was so much family stuff today!), but haven't managed to see any of it yet. We did visit Whittlesford about 8 years ago but having small children prohibited a visit to the archives. In the last six months I have not been out of Bournemouth at all because of mum, but if she settles in the rest home I might be able to travel - maybe in the summer hols?

Coach or train are prohibitively expensive and obviously I'd have to be there for at least two days I would imagine! We do have our camper van but it seems pretty small for us now and makes son's asthma bad. I've never driven that, so wouldn't be keen to take it on my own. (bit of a wimp really!!)

Old 08-06-13, 11:53

Maybe your OH would agree for you all to go over there for a week or a weekend, and he could take the kids off sightseeing or to the seaside (only about an hour away) while you're at the archives?

You wouldn't necessarily need to photograph everything; once you've had a good look and you can see what seems most important, you can ask the staff to photocopy the documents you need. There's obviously a charge, but not as much as if you were asking them to do research.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-06-13 at 11:56.
Old 08-06-13, 12:03
Administrator

I agree Mary, though given there are over 400 family letters, (never minding all the other stuff), even if ¾ of them could be disregarded, that's still a lot of photocopies, especially assuming most letters would be more than one page!

On reflection, I think I would need to be there a fortnight!!