Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 02-06-13, 10:32

Di

I mean, honestly.....if I found an ancestor called Bistilope the first thing I would suspect is that it was a mistranscription, and check that theory by looking for other Bistilopes!

OC
Old 02-06-13, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Di

I mean, honestly.....if I found an ancestor called Bistilope the first thing I would suspect is that it was a mistranscription, and check that theory by looking for other Bistilopes!

OC
Mistranscription!!!

Never!!!

If it's on the Internet it must be right, mistakes on the Internet? NEVER!!!
Old 02-06-13, 12:57

I'm in touch with a lady whose husband I'm related to, and I've been sharing information relating to his side of the tree. Last time I looked at their tree, it was quite small.

I happened to look at it again yesterday, and was somewhat surprised to find nearly 30,000 entries, and a tree dating back to Alfred the Great...
Old 03-06-13, 00:53

I found a website claiming to list 750,000 people connected to European Royality - I was just googling some names from my distant cousins. I was surprised to find one of them on the list - One wonders how a country vet from small West Sussex town could be connected to royalty.

It looks like in the 1500s, some of his ancestors were High Sheriff of Sussex and one was knighted at Flodden (1513) by Henry VIII - so its a chance meeting rather than a relationship. If it lists anyone ever knighted, then its a long list....
Old 03-06-13, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquette View Post
I found a website claiming to list 750,000 people connected to European Royality - I was just googling some names from my distant cousins. I was surprised to find one of them on the list - One wonders how a country vet from small West Sussex town could be connected to royalty.

It looks like in the 1500s, some of his ancestors were High Sheriff of Sussex and one was knighted at Flodden (1513) by Henry VIII - so its a chance meeting rather than a relationship. If it lists anyone ever knighted, then its a long list....
I've probably stepped on things he dropped on the battlefield then seeing as I lived close to Flodden a few years ago.
My coal is spent, my iron's gone
My nails are drove, my work is done
Lord receive my soul
Old 03-06-13, 16:59

I have found that some American researchers are very reluctant to have their bubbles burst, especially if their tree suggests connection to somebody important. British researchers tend to be a bit more receptive to advice and correction.
I have been involved in helping a US DOTY/DOUGHTY research group since the early 2000s.
They were convinced DOTY was an English name until I went through all the C19th UK census indexes and found only a handful in the 19th century. Two of these people were American and the other few entries were dubious.
This went down like a lead balloon, with people inferring I was wrong, until a respected senior researcher backed me up.
There was also a similar search for the name Doten, which is a variant. When checking the images I found that nearly every one that had been seen as a genuine DOTEN was a mistranscription. One family was actually named Lynch! (bad handwriting, but checked out in other censuses)

The only DOTEN was a French family in the Channel Isles which ties in with a much more likely connection to mainland Europe.

Edward DOTY, however, was on the Mayflower and is well known. He is possibly the only DOTY to ever come to the US. There was a well known, but fake, genealogy which connected DOTY to DOUGHTY in the UK, which was put onto the IGI.
There are now many thousands of people in the USA named DOTY. As they would say - "go figure!"

I had woman send me a tree where a couple had three daughters named Elizabeth, the last of which had been born when the mother was 55 years old!

Another American person sent me a family history they had put on line which mentioned a place of birth as "Oldsburg" Gloucester, England. On checking, this was probably Oldsbury, but the mistake has not been rectified.

Oh, and my favourite - the American lady who told me she had a tree tracing her family back to King Arthur.

Last edited by SBDFHS; 03-06-13 at 17:02.
Old 03-06-13, 17:17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBDFHS View Post
Oh, and my favourite - the American lady who told me she had a tree tracing her family back to King Arthur.
If you search the public trees on ancestry for Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, there are 1,984 matches!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-06-13, 17:32

I am surprised that the Mayflower didn't sink without trace before it left the UK. The number of people who were supposedly on it is quite remarkable.

Apparently all Holdens in the USA are descended from Justinian Holden who sailed on the Mayflower. Apart from the fact that there was no one of that name on the Mayflower, the ONLY Justinian Holden around at the time was in fact Justinia, a female!

OC
Old 03-06-13, 17:56

There does seem to be immense kudos in the US if you are descended from a 'Mayflowerite', with various groups and societies for the 'elite'. Thankfully, the criteria is very strict, with DNA testing sometimes being part of the requirement for membership.

There were a lot of people on board ship because the other ship was unfit to sail, so everyone crowded onto the MF.

From all accounts the Pilgrim Fathers weren't fleeing religious persecution, weren't pilgrims, didn't land at Plymouth rock and were a particularly nasty, prejudiced, fundamentalist bunch, hanging one of the women when they discovered she was a Quaker. Nowadays they would be called a "cult". All the hype is now part of the American mythos, sadly.
They were not even the first group of settlers from England. Others had landed and founded settlements earlier. Seems they just had the best PR.

Last edited by SBDFHS; 03-06-13 at 18:06.
Old 04-06-13, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Di

OC
Exactly, OC, and if you haven't done so, why do you have a family tree at all ?

SBDFHS - here in OZ, there is now kudos in having a "First Fleeter" as an ancestor and saying they were transported for just one minor crime, which in the majority of cases was not completely true.

But I am proud that all my ancestors came as free settlers, paying at least part of their own way (some were assisted migrants), and worked hard, set up their own small businesses or worked for the government, paid taxes, had families and generally lead pretty unremarkable law-abiding lives !!

I have worked on making sure my family tree is correct, as far it is possible to know and found it surprisingly easy to trace most of them back beyond 1800, although one or two are still giving me grief. But I persist, I add little details, chase up side branches and lost twigs, just because I can, and you never know where it may lead.

So far, I have made only two major mistakes, following the wrong line, which I have now fixed and found the correct family, but I am loathe to tell the lady who shared her tree, that William from Chard is not the same as William from Taunton. I am a chicken, as I am happy to anonomously tell others !

Di