Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 19-08-13, 07:30
Administrator

Default What a relief!

Lately I have become quite fed up with the format of WDYTYA? and the celebrities being endlessly sentimental about their ancestors.

Last night I watched two back to back episodes of The Restoration Man with architect George Clarke. This programme has been going for three years, but I hadn't seen it before (probably because I'd been worn down by years of watching Grand Designs!).

Apart from watching the difficulties of restoring dilapidated old buildings, a few minutes of the show seems to be devoted to understanding the history of the property and.......what a relief!! - Sifting through old deeds and census enumeration sheets etc, only sensible questions were asked of the record office archivist (or whoever) and no one tried to apply the feelings of a modern-day individual to events in the past, as seems to constantly happen on WDYTYA? I don't know if this element of the show is always so good, but I enjoyed these two episodes.

A breath of fresh air! (and George is lovely!!! )

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-08-13, 07:40
tenterfieldjulie

Merry, I've just bought the DVD of the series of Michael Wood's Story of England on the village of Kibworth in Leicestershire. I have only viewed one of the DVD's as yet, from the Romans to the Black death. Of course having Merton College own the village makes a huge difference on records surviving, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Living in Aus, many of the things that folk in UK know instinctively, is new to me. Being of farming stock, I was particularly taken with the medieval strip farming method.
I'm wondering what others thought of it? Julie
Old 19-08-13, 07:46
Administrator

I did watch that back in 2011,, but I can't remember much of the detail now. I seem to think I enjoyed it though!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-08-13, 08:11
tenterfieldjulie

LOL .. things do take a while to get here ... Julie
Old 19-08-13, 08:26

If repeats of Restoration Man are on, I'll watch again. The format works well and George has a genuine passion for his subject - I have a soft spot for a Sunderland accent.

How about George on WDYTYA?
Old 19-08-13, 12:18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post

What a good idea!

His father died when he was a child, so he might be like I was, with little awareness of my paternal history.

Old 19-08-13, 12:26

I'd nominate George to do the voice-over, too.
Old 19-08-13, 13:06
tenterfieldjulie

I've watched him on PayTV .. do like his blue eyes lol .. only window shopping of course ...
Old 20-08-13, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
If repeats of Restoration Man are on, I'll watch again. The format works well and George has a genuine passion for his subject - I have a soft spot for a Sunderland accent.

Aww Shona, he's got a Washington accent not Sunderland. I expect he was born in the maternity hospital in Sunderland but he's a Washington lad.
Old 20-08-13, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham Lady View Post
Aww Shona, he's got a Washington accent not Sunderland. I expect he was born in the maternity hospital in Sunderland but he's a Washington lad.
You're right! Born in Sunderland and brought up in Washington. Still a lovely accent, though.

In his own words: 'When most of the kids were playing with building blocks and pieces of Lego, I was actually on building sites.'

Both of his grandfathers were builders.

Last edited by Shona; 20-08-13 at 15:51.