Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 11-10-12, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Celia visited Woburn Abbey, the Russell family seat, and was shown a painting of the trial and a pardon issued by King William of Orange.
Richard Lumley, the 1st Earl of Scarborough, an ancestor of Celia's grandfather, Charles George Lumley Cator, was one of the Immortal Seven - the seven noblemen who invited William of Orange to depose his father-in-law James II.
Old 11-10-12, 09:43

I'm definitely not enjoying this series as a whole as much as previous ones because there have been too many episodes that dwelt on one single aspect of someone's tree - but I do appreciate that there will be many people who enjoy doing that with their own family history and so will find it an interesting approach. It just isn't what I personally have come to expect and enjoy about WDYTYA.

I found Celia Imrie's episode probably the most boring ever....it even trumps Hugh Dennis's WW1 research for me. I switched both of them off before the end as I grew impatient with waiting for something interesting to crop up and I have never done that in anyt previous series. Last night I fell asleep just as they were beginning to talk about Frances Howard and woke up about 20 minutes later to find them still rabbitting on about her....so I switched off and went to bed. Having had to forego WDYTYA last week for a Panorama special I was looking forward to this. BIG disappointment.
Old 11-10-12, 09:51

Some things irked me about this episode.

William Lord Russell was fervently anti-Catholic. Historians may still debate his actual involvement in the Rye House Plot to assassinate Charles and James, but I didn't take to her comment that he was 'Christ-like' - some sort of martyr. WLR wasn't the only person to be put to death for involvement in the plot, after all.

They mentioned the seven Englishmen (the Immortal Seven) who 'invited' William of Orange to depose the king, but failed to mention one of the seven was an ancestor on her grandfather's Lumley branch.

The Glorious Revolution was not so glorious in Ireland and Scotland. It's worth listening to the Radio 4 documentary Things We Forgot to Remember (it's on the iplayer) about some of the uncomfortable truths about what happened.

We had another baby 'ripped away from her mother' moment when Celia was commented on the Earl and Countess of Somerset's daughter, Anne. Even if they hadn't been in the Tower, Anne would have been given to a wet-nurse. Who was the sister who was looking after Anne while her parents were in the Tower?

Mrs Turner was hung at Tyburn. Wish the show has mentioned that for completeness.

The OH usually dutifully sits through the show and murmurs in agreement when I say: 'Ooh, that was interesting.' Not so this one. He's in full lecture mode - he studied this period in history...from the Irish and Catholic perspective.

Don't get me wrong, I watched the show and was intruiged.

It's John Bishop next week, isn't it?
Old 11-10-12, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
It's John Bishop next week, isn't it?
It will either be him or John Barnes as I was mentally ticking the subjects off last night as they showed them in the opening credits and the two Johns are the only ones we haven't seen.
Old 11-10-12, 12:28

Just checked - John Barnes. But I sighed just a little when I read the following: 'His grandfather Frank was feared by the British during the Second World War.'
Old 11-10-12, 13:10
maggie_4_7

oh dear I have yet to watch it! It doesn't sound promising.
Old 11-10-12, 13:32
Administrator

Going back to the Cators - the John Cator who died in 1806 (uncle of 3xg-grandfather Joseph Cator, according to Burke's Landed Gentry 1855) was born in 1728, the son of John Cator and Mary Brough, according to the History of Parliament Online. Wikipedia says that his estates were inherited by his nephew John Barwell Cator, and I don't seem to have kept a copy of his will after looking at it.

I think that Burke's got in a muddle and that Joseph Cator who died in 1818 was actually the brother of John Cator, not his nephew, and John Barwell Cator was Joseph's son. Apparently Joseph's tombstone says he was 84 when he died, which would fit with him being born in 1733, and John Cator was the eldest child of John sr and Mary, so could not have a nephew born in 1733.

So... the Cator line back from Celia's grandfather is:
Grandfather - Charles George Lumley Cator
G-grandfather - Charles Oliver Frederick Cator b 1836
2xg-g - Thomas Cator b 1790
3xg-g - Joseph Cator b 1733
4xg-g - John Cator b 1703
5xg-g - Jonah Cator b 1661

John Cator's brother Jonah born 1706 is my 7xg-grandfather and so the Jonah born 1661 is my 8xg-g.

By my calculations, Celia is my sixth cousin three times removed! The generations in her Cator line are very far apart which makes it quite out of synch with mine.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-10-12, 14:03

It's a pity WDYTYA didn't engage you to put last night's programme together Kite. Your research is a lot more interesting than what we were given! I know it WAS Celia's family history but it wasn't family history research as we have come to define it through our own experiences was it?

I have to say, I'm very glad my lot weren't well documented in history books and the like because the finding of them wouldn't have been anything like the fun it has been! A distant relative I came into contact with once asked me if I had been trained in the police because of my tenacity in following up clues and not letting go until I had proved (or not) a connection! I haven't (been trained in the police) by the way
Old 11-10-12, 14:12
Administrator

Thanks, Ann!

I think it's funny that Celia's snobby grandfather was the great-grandson of a merchant - surely that counts as "trade"?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-10-12, 14:17

To provide a bit of balance, I took a look at Celia's father, Dr David Andrew Imrie (1892-1972) to examine the 'working class' side of her family.

David Imrie was educated at Glasgow and Edinburgh Universities and was registered on 11 August 1915. His address: 3 Nightingale Road, Guildford.

David's parents were: John Imrie and Jane Kerr Pollock.

1901 census - 415 Shields Road, Pollock, Glasgow

John Imrie, 53, steam ship agent, born Glasgow
John Imrie, 23, analytical chemist
Eliza Imrie, 19
James Imrie, 15
Janet Imrie, 16
David Imrie, 8
William Imrie, 6

John is a ship agent, one son is an analytical chemist and another goes on to be a doctor. I suppose this is working class (or 'trade') when compared to Celia's maternal line!

[In addition to David Imrie, Medical Registers also have the following entry: James Imrie, 8 St John's Road, Pollock. Registered 29 April 1925. A relative perhaps?]

I was interested to see that there was a public tree on Ancestry on the Imrie family. Lots of info on the maternal line, not so much on the paternal line. The tree owner? Someone called Celia. Hmmmm.

John Imrie's parents were James Imrie and Margaret Mills who were married in Glasgow on 13 May 1838.

On Family Search, the following children are listed for James Imrie and Margaret Mills:

Grace, b 4 April 1839
James, b 15 August 1843
John, b 29 May 1846
Janet, b 13 September 1849
Matheu (?), b 22 December 1851
James, b 3 August 1854

1861 census - 97 Great Hamilton Street, Glasgow
James Imrie, 47, cotton yarn warper
Margaret Imrie, 48
John Imrie, 14, draper's message boy
James Imrie, 6

A cotton yarn warper and a message boy? That's a bit more down to earth.

Time to take a look at the Pollock branch.

1871 census - Vennel Street, Dalry, Ayrshire

Robert Pollock, 54, builder and landowner, born Barshead, Renfrewshire
Eliza Pollock, 55, born Dalry
Jane Kerr Pollock, 23, born Dalry
Agnes Taylor Pollock, 18, born Dalry
Eliza Ann Pollock, 15, born Dalry
Robert Pollock, 13, born Dalry
Andrew Smith Pollock, 11, born Dalry
Mary Taylor Pollock, 4, born Dalry
James Kerr, 89, retired farmer, born Dalry

Robert Pollock is recorded in the 1851 census as being a master mason who employs 13men. Also in the same census in Dalry, James Pollock is listed as being a master mason employing 13 men.

Monumental inscriptions, Dalry

'Erected in memory of Robert Pollock, late builder, London, who died in Dalry, 14th May 1876, aged 81 years. Janed, eldest daughter of the late John Pollock, builder, Dalry, died 28 February 1871, aged 47 years'

I think London in this transcription is wrong. It's more likely to be Loudon.

Looks as if the Pollock family were fairly well-established builders.

Most of the Pollock children moved to Glasgow.

1881 census - Pollock Street, Glasgow

John Pollock, head, 31, mechanic in saw mill, born Dalry, Ayrshire
Agnes T Pollock, sister, 28, born Dalry
Eliza Ann Pollock, sister, 25, born Dalry
Robert Pollock, 23, brother, joiner at works, born Dalry
Andrew Pollock, 21, brother, clerk, born Dalry
Mary Pollock, 19, sister, scholar, born Dalry

Pollocks living in Pollock Street! Wonder if it was built by the family firm?

Still haven't tracked down Jane Kerr Pollock in 1881. She would have been married to John Imrie by then.

Last edited by Shona; 11-10-12 at 15:01.