Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History Stories

Old 28-12-21, 10:28

To conclude...

John Underwood senior marries Mary Saunders in 1805.
Their eldest known child John [Saunders] Underwood is baptised at Gretton in 1807.
He gets Ruth Crackstone into trouble and is forced to marry her in 1825.
John [Saunders] Underwood takes his family back to Yardley Hastings (I wonder if there is a removal order somewhere!) but Ruth dies less than three years later.
His parents have a family consisting apparently entirely of sons, so Mary Ann probably found a home with her paternal grandparents at such an early age that she never knew she had been born at Bozeat.
When John married Lucy, it was probably easier to start the marriage without the encumbrance of a four year old. I can't tell what happened between censuses, but I imagine Mary Ann never lived with her father for long.
She, like her mother, got into trouble, but the man did not marry her.
I wonder what her attitude to her own children was? George moved out of the area, and Elizabeth Jane, her daughter, was cast adrift by the deaths of two parents occurring so close together (nothing in the papers to indicate accident, epidemic or broken heart) and married very quickly afterwards.
Old 28-12-21, 10:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Merry, bear in mind that this is on the Family History Stories board. I am assuming it is a serial and we have to wait for the final part to understand it all.
Oh, OK. It's just the opening sentence of the first post I didn't understand, as it sounded as if it was about someone other than Mary Ann, but I see the answer is here now!

And I only type with two fingers too!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-12-21, 11:31

Lol! I've been reading too many detective stories, where the clue is on the first page, and the denoument on the last.

I've looked at the 1851 census so many times, assuming that Mary Ann was living with her father, not her grandfather.
In 1841, three housholds were living together. People in Yardley Hastings seem to have married the girl next door. Best Mate is descended from Mary Ann's uncles Charles AND George. In an eighteen month period first George's wife Sarah died in June 1844, then his parents Mary and finally John late in 1845.
Mary Ann had her first child in the Union Workhouse. The admission register does not survive for the period. I can't help wondering whether she named her son George out of affection for her uncle or for darker reasons.