Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 18-07-21, 10:17
Administrator

Oh, except I just realised I can't use Google Chrome on this desktop computer! But I tried a browser which is based on Chrome, and yes, I get the EDIT button on this computer and can type in a note and save it. Thank you! I guess I would have to zoom out in my browser on the laptop to be able to do the same.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-07-21, 21:45

I could have sworn I'd tried zooming out with no luck, but I've just had a go, and it works for me too, on Firefox! It still doesn't work on Opera, which I generally use (I can edit but not save), but I can live with that.

It still needs tweaking, though, because as you found, the Edit button's initially invisible, so nobody's going to think of zooming out.
Old 24-07-21, 10:10
Administrator

I was hoping that after the 23rd of July, the "generating matches - please wait" message wouldn't appear any more, but it still does. I am interested to see that I now have a match which is classed as maternal, although my mother hasn't taken a DNA test. It can't just be that they class all which are not paternal as maternal, or I would have more than one! I wonder why that particular match? We only share 12 cM's. I have clicked to see matches in common with them but I have to wait for "generating matches" all over again. It's taking a long time - will it have to do this every time I want to look at matches in common with anyone?!

Old 24-07-21, 10:22
Administrator

Having looked at the "help" section, I think it has classed this person as a maternal match because their family tree links with mine on that side? I had a quick look at their tree to try to see where it linked but then I got an error message before I could see anything that I recognised.

However, to get to their tree I had to open my match list in another tab, and I can say for sure that the match list "fluctuation" which was supposed to be over by 23rd July is still going on, since in one tab I have 4403 paternal matches out of 9359, and in the other 5569 out of 9359.

Old 01-09-21, 23:54

The new chromosome painter has now gone live.

I'm still trying to work out how to do anything useful with it.
Old 15-09-21, 19:12
Administrator

Yesterday I had a total of 9457 matches, 5619 paternal, and now I have 9458 matches, 5624 paternal. So have I got 5 new matches, all paternal, and 4 old maternal matches have deleted their accounts? Or are they still not sure which matches are paternal and which aren't, even though my Dad's DNA is also on there?

Old 21-09-21, 18:23
Administrator

I'm trying to work through my list of matches, but it is very slow progress, because every time I click to view the "in common with" for a match, there is no way of getting back to the position in the list that I was up to, and I have to start paging through from the beginning of the list all over again. (It is not like Ancestry, where you can avoid that problem by right-clicking each time and opening in a new tab - there is no option to do that on FTDNA.) I would really like to be able to see how many matches in common each entry has before clicking, so I could not bother with the many which have thousands, and just concentrate on those with a manageable number of matches in common.

Old 22-09-21, 17:32

Yes, that's really irritating.
Old 22-09-21, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquette View Post
This sounds interesting - do you think that it means you can work out where your DNA matches someone else and then where the DNA is likely to originate from?
That's what I was hoping, but the chromosome painter seems to be fairly useless, except for people who have unusual ethnicities, because it only paints on the basis of ethnic origin.

There is a website that paints on the basis of your matches, but I haven't tried it yet:

https://dnapainter.com/blog/why-map-your-chromosomes/
Old 22-09-21, 17:51
Administrator

I have tried out DNA Painter and it was easier than I thought it would be. You can copy and paste the info from FTDNA, GEDmatch, etc into DNA Painter.