Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-04-22, 15:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
lancs archives are looking into a few things at the moment. but they sometimes,they takeaweek to answer . so i will ask once they get back to me. you are saying that you don't think the children i found ,belong to william and Mary ?
I dont know, but it would seem unlikely. Was there a Samuel (re post #44)?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-04-22, 16:11

I will tread find out off the archives after the holidays have a nice easter
Old 14-04-22, 20:03
Administrator

So, was there a Samuel?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-04-22, 06:02

I don't know yet , the archives willl probably shut until tuesday .I will let you know if they get back to me . Thanks
Old 16-04-22, 07:18
Administrator

Quote:
you are saying that you don't think the children i found ,belong to william and Mary ?
I wasn't referring to the Catholic entries. I was responding to this question (above). You said you had found some C of E entries, children of William and Mary (probably not the people you are looking for) and I asked you if there was a baptism for a Samuel within those C of E records.

Old 16-04-22, 13:06

sorry merry , i didn't understand i'll check .
Old 16-04-22, 13:11

i've checked and no there wasn't a samuel .
Old 16-04-22, 17:01
Administrator

Good.

Old 30-04-22, 06:08

Hi merry , i've had a reply to my request for a search for a samuel hale .The archives have said that i have to go and search at the archives myself or hire a researcher as it would take over 10 mins to locate the files and search . So all i have gleaned is william catholic birth 1794 Mother mary father william . god parents thomas gradwell and molly boardman . I did find a marriage for a william Hale and mary wilson in 1784 aughton but i don't think that the church is a catholic one . so it looks like i may have to take a trip to the archives when i get the chance . I also asked the ormskirk church office to locate the grave plot of William Hale to see if the plot had a headstone or not . If i went to look i didn't want to be wondering around looking for a grave without a location . They have no grave location papers , the archives have got them . so therefore i can't find out about that either .without a researcher . so there it is . These people have got you over a barrel .
Old 30-04-22, 08:30
Administrator

Quote:
Hi merry , i've had a reply to my request for a search for a samuel hale .The archives have said that i have to go and search at the archives myself or hire a researcher as it would take over 10 mins to locate the files and search .
I hope you told them you know his age from his burial (33 in Oct 1824)?

I expect if you had asked about Samuel at the same time as you requested they search for William, they would have looked for you, as they were both born within a similar time frame.

Quote:
So all i have gleaned is william catholic birth 1794 Mother mary father william . god parents thomas gradwell and molly boardman .
You say 'all' but that's very good news. Now you have a reason to buy the death certificate for Mary Hale buried as a Catholic 6 Jul 1840 aged 77 at Ormskirk. Hopefully the certificate will give you the name of her husband (if she was, or had been, married) and also her marital status at the time of her death. If her husband was William, then there's a good chance this is your William's mother.

Quote:
I did find a marriage for a william Hale and mary wilson in 1784 aughton but i don't think that the church is a catholic one .
As I said in posts #44 and #55, "With regard to the marriage at St Michael's Aughton - Catholic marriages were illegal from 1754 to 1837, so it's not a 'problem' to find marriages of Catholic people in an Anglican church."

Don't you think the fact there are no obvious C of E baptisms on Lancs OPC for the Aughton couple is a good thing for you? You reallly need to get access to the Catholic records to establish when the parents of William (1794) began having children and when they had their last child. At the moment you are doing a jigsaw with only some of the available pieces.

Quote:
I also asked the ormskirk church office to locate the grave plot of William Hale to see if the plot had a headstone or not .
You should have asked them to look for Mary (d 1840) as well.

The biggest issue would seem to be, there is no obvious burial for William Hale, the father of Wm bap 1794. This is one of the reasons you need Mary's death cert. If her husband was not William then you might need to think again about what happened to both your William's parents. If her husband was William, I don't know how likely it is that he was buried without a record, possibly because he may have been Catholic (we don't know they both were) ) or just because the C of E minister forgot to write his name in the burial register.